Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  03:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Did anyone encounter the following sometimes?

After starting VS.Net and loading a solution, the IDE either crashes (so that "minidump" is called), or it produces the following error:
Error
Runtime Error 204 at 1EEA04F8

After restarting VS.Net and loading the same solution, either one of the two will occur (seems at random). If the error-message appears, it is always at the same location (1EEA04F8).

It happend to me three or four times now, using the latest build (1236) and one of the last few builds (don't know exactly).

When I turn off VA X (just disable), restart the IDE, load the same solution open another window (first I had no windows opened, and another time I had some windows opened), and enabled VA X. Every thing seems to be OK. (Even after restarting the IDE without disabeling VA X.)

I had the chance to turn on the logging before loading a project. I did this a few times. The log-files will be send to WT.

Could the fine team of Whole Tomato please look at this? Thank you very much.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1236.0
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1: [email protected] (2-user license) [edited]
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.44
DevEnv.exe version 7.0.9466.0
msenv.dll version 7.0.9466.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2800.1106
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
2 processors

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  07:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I've starting to believe it's more and more a Microsoft "feature". It only happens (at least now) with two different projects. And also when I turn off VA X (I didn't unload it though).

Did anyone else see this too?

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  07:56:37 AM  Show Profile
I saw that too on very few occasions with 1235 and 1236. It only happened when opening a solution by its *.sln file from Explorer not by opening VS.NET from the start menu.
Up to now the both of us seem to be the only persons having seen this effect.

Bye,
SvenC
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  5:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi SvenC,

Thank you for your reaction. I (almost) always open my projects with the start page of VS.Net. I (almost) never use Explorer to open a solution. (I still hope it gives a clue to the Whole Tomato team.)

SvenC, thanks again. If I detect more clues I will post them...
If other see this effect, please post your clues.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  07:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Pat, We looked at the logs and it looks like the process just stopped? No obvious errors or pattern, just stopped at some random place. Any chance you could get us a minidump or a callstack?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

ivan
Ketchup Master

Russia
75 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Happens to me sometimes, too (not often enough to become annoying, though). Either the small message box with error 204 or that big dialog box with report error/restart IDE stuff. It crashes inside of va_x.dll - will try to get you the call stack the next time I see it. I never open solutions from Windows Explorer either - usually it's the 'recent projects' menu.
Go to Top of Page

dannyt

2 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  09:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi gang,

FYI:
I'm having the same problem. It usually does it everyday but just the first time I open VS.NET at the begining of the day. I almost always use the "Recent Projects" menu pick to open the solution. I think it just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if it is an artifact of one of the automatic updates that Windows XP has performed recently? (I notice the dates on the postings about this problem are also fairly recent.) Is everybody else experiencing the problem using XP?

Well, that's my "2-cents". Just wanted you to know that others are experiencing the problem too.

Overall: VA X is a GREAT help in my daily coding.

Thanks for looking into it and keep up the good work.
Dan Trowbridge

Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  05:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,

Thank you all for your reactions.

Support, it seems that installing a new version will keep this error away for a short while. (Maybe it has to do something with rebuilding the database of cleaning some files, which I preformed just a day before installing the new version?)

When I see it again, I'll try to recreate it and make a call stack and a minidump for you.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile
How can I create a minidump? When the error occurs VS2003 and VS6 are available for debugging but at least VS2003 is likely to crash again. When I attach with windbg I don't see an option to create a minidump.
Any help, how to do it?
Go to Top of Page

dannyt

2 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  10:09:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,

Well it just happened again. Here is what I get...

First A little dialog box that says...

Runtime error 204 at 1EE984F8

(This address differs slightly from that found in the original posting by Patrick Luja)

I then get the "Send Error Report" popup.

The error information is as follows...

Error details:
An unhandled exception has been caught by the VSW exception filter.

Error signiture:
AppName: devenv.exe AppVer: 7.10.3077.0 ModName: va_x.dll
ModVer: 10.0.1223.0 Offset: 0019af78

I get a core dump (mini dump? - is this when you don't get the "blue screen of death" dump?). The dump information shows up in a dialog box after I ask to see "technical information about the error report". I can't cut and paste from that dialog box so I didn't include the info here. It must be in a file somewhere but I couldn't find it in my C:/windows directory. Does anyone know where this file would be? It is still a pretty huge amount of data so to paste it here probably wouldn't be practile anyways.

I hope this helps a little.

Keep up the good work.
Dan Trowbridge

Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  04:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello SvenC, Dan Trowbridge and support,

When I see VS crashing, a MiniDump-utility will be started right away (that's when I know there are some troubles), then I'm asked if I want to send a bug-report to Microsoft. (I'm using Windows XP Pro.)

You can find the settings for minidump by pressing the windows key and Pause/Break, selecting "Advanced" (I guess, because I'm using a Dutch version of Windows) and then selecting the third button (settings of startup and recovery). In the lower part of the window you can select the kind of minidump you want and were it is saved. (Normally %SystemRoot%\\Minidump, so this normally is C:\\Windows\\Minidump).

Which kind of minidump does the team of Whole Tomato prefer?

I did notice that the report I sent to Microsoft aren't in the given directory any more...(Does Microsoft try to secretly covering their tiny bugs? )

Yesterday, I've noticed the effect again, but I was in a hurry to finish a project, so I didn't make a call stack (nor any recoverable minidump). I saw the effect when I opened the solution, with which I had this problem a couple of times, while another instance of VS (and including VA X) was already running another solution. (I have seen this effect while opening a second instance of VS as well as starting the first instance of VS.)

Does someone else recall any specific details that could or might help?

Thanks you all for your efforts (of reporting, debugging and solving this bug).

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  10:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Patrick,

Thanks for all the info.

The default "Small memory dump(64KB)" is fine.

Go to Top of Page

mfhillman
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2004 :  4:36:27 PM  Show Profile
I have also been experiencing this crashing problem on opening a solution. It is so bad that I have had to uninstall VA X. The problem still occurs in 1239.

For me the behavior is also random.
~60% - Crash on boot (confirmed to be in VA X dll).
~30% - Runtime error dialog.
~10% - Solution opens successfully.

My solution involves about 10 projects, mostly C#, but also including several C++ projects.

While I'm experiencing the exact same errors as described by others, I would be happy to send log files or dumps if they might be useful.

Thanks,
Matt Hillman
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2004 :  7:01:09 PM  Show Profile
We appreciate the offer to send a dump. Zip and send to [email protected]

Go to Top of Page

pjmclaurin
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2004 :  1:47:57 PM  Show Profile
I am also having this problem. I have already sent a message to [email protected] with the details copied from the Event Viewer for my crash. This crash did not occur with build 1233, but it does with build 1237. Is there any way to download 1233 anymore? I can't find it on the website. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000