New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2004 :  7:57:10 PM  Show Profile
I have suggest from surrounding lines enabled. I am using C# in Visual Studio 2003. When I have a line that contains variable definition and I try to use it in the line below it seems not only not to be in the default completion list that VAX creates but VAX doesn't even have completion info for it. This happens if I'm typing line by line of source. If I wait for a little bit VAX seems to then pick it up. I guess this is a problem with parsing?

For example if I type this:

string[] valueNames = transactionKey.GetValueNames();
foreach (string valueName in

I would expect VAX to pop up valueNames in a completion list when I type v. However in this case I can type valueNames and at no time is valueNames in the VAX completion list. This is happening quite frequently for me and I'm running on a dual 3.2GHz Xeon box with hyperthreading enabled and a GB of ram so I would expect VAX to be able to keep up. I have just enabled logging due to the fact that I'm having frequent hangs in VAX on this brand new box. However, this problem was occuring before I enabled logging. Let me know if the log will be helpful to you.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  1:01:53 PM  Show Profile
The option to suggest bits of code does not apply here. The option applies only when your current line matches the prefix of a nearby line. See "Suggest Bits.." in:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.html?more=yes

We assume you expect valueNames to appear as a suggestion, ie with a tomato and question mark, when you type 'v'. That assumption is reasonable, and the suggestion appears when we type your example.

VA X employs several layers of parsing. The lightest is done for color -- something fast enough to keep up with scrolling. Next levels of parsing are done for code suggestions, update of the Definition field, update of HCB, etc. These next levels occur only when you pause in typing. If you pause long enough, more code is parsed.

If you type at blinding speed, VA X may not suggest what you just typed. (You do have to be pretty good to see this.)

Are you suggesting VA X does not offer valueNames when you pause, then type 'v' as in:
foreach (string valueName in v

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2004 :  2:08:05 PM  Show Profile
There was no pause and I do type pretty fast. If I want suggestions I guess I will have to learn to pause when I'm writing code. Any hints on how long I would have to pause to get a suggestion?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000