Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  5:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Since using the newest build (1236), I've noticed that it takes a long while before (some) new variables are repainted in a appropriate colour. I am often using the manual reparse-button to get the variables coloured.

I hope the team of Whole Tomato can fix this soon.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  11:29:15 AM  Show Profile
have you let VAX finish parsing the whole project? a long shot, but worth checking.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  3:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Coloring is virtually instant when we type:
int foo;
foo;

Is the problem specific to a file?

Do you first define or use a variable? Does it make a difference?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  4:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Feline, thanks for the suggestion, but I always wait until the "parsing" messages stop.

Support, I've seen it on some more occasions in more files.
I'll try to remember making log-files of this effect, when I see it again.
BTW: I see the effect in build 1236 (not seen it before, after the performance was boosted up - a couple of builds back). The effect doesn't present itself every time, but much more often lately.

Thanks for your efforts. I'll keep you posted.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

llock

2 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  1:05:10 PM  Show Profile
hmm.. perhaps they mean when starting up..

I remember getting a version a few years ago that, by default, didn't parse things right away.. so in a huge project like mine, I'd go 5 mins or so before things became colored.. but.. They told me about a reg entry to parse right away.. I'm still on the older version until a few of my favorite features are back in VAX =D, so I have no idea if the full-parse reg entry still works.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist\\FullProjectParsing was set to REG_Binary 01

It solved my problem. =)

------------------------------------\rDaniel Higgins\rGame AI Programmer - Empire Earth,\rEmpires: Dawn of the Modern World\rStainless Steel Studios, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  03:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I saw this not at start up, but during a whole programming session.
I must say that I didn't saw it in build 1237 anymore, but I'll keep an eye on it.

llock, Thanks for your suggestion, but I'll refrain from editing registry settings until support says it's Ok.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  10:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

It's back again... I've seen the effect and I have made a log-file of it. It is send to Whole Tomato...

I hope it is of some use...

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  11:28:31 AM  Show Profile
Same here, takes Ages for my newly declared veriables to become colored. I almost always have to manually "Reparse File", even after building the project...

Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 28 2004 :  03:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I'm not only talking about newly declared variables, but also some variables that were there since I've loaded (even reparsed) the project (in the morning). I often can see it when switching to another full-screened application and back. WT has received a log of it, so I hope they find a solution that helps all of us.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

yuri
Ketchup Master

USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 28 2004 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Huh, I always thought you had to reparse the file after creating a new class, or new variable, etc. I even put the reparse file on the toolbar. I agree though that it should parse it automatically. I hate when I type something and it seems to have been parsed but when you switch from one file to another and come back everything is black with the red line underneath it. Or, you create a new class with .h and .cpp and when you put the class somewhat together in the .h and move to the .cpp to find that VAX doesn't recognize your class. You have to move back to the .h and find that everything is black with red lines and reparse it. But if it showed that it was parsed before you switched to the .cpp then why isn't it? Ughhh...

Using VS.NET 2k3 on Windows XP Professional.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - May 28 2004 :  11:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Yup, I'm seeing all these problems, too, though not as bad as some people. It can take 15 seconds or so for a new variable to get recognized. Sometimes, out of the blue, a class like CWaitCursor becomes unrecognized. Opening a file you haven't opened in a long time takes forever to color.

And have you tried splitting the IDE source code window lately? Also takes several seconds to color the new pane...
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2004 :  04:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I've noticed that it will happen more quickly when I have two instances of MS VStudio.Net off course both with VA X.

I can see it in one instance (started first), but currently not in the other (started somewhat later).

Then again, I have to state that I also see it (but less frequent) when I have only one instance open at the same time.

I hope this might be a little clue...

----Edited----
Oh yeah, when I place my cursor on a variable (that isn't coloured), there will be no comment whatsoever in the definition-bar (just white).

I just saw another clue: public and protected variables are coloured, but all private variable are not coloured...
----Edited----

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Edited by - PatLuja on Jun 03 2004 05:25:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2004 :  08:14:29 AM  Show Profile
now i am seeing this effect also.

returning to an existing windows project, i opened a .h and its matching .cpp file. i added 3 new parameters to the class constructor in the .h file, which were correctly coloured.

using alt_o i swap to the cpp file, and add a single blank line. now i press alt_o to swap back to the cpp file, and the colouring on the class constructors is visible for less than a second, before VAX redraws the screen, wiping out the colouring

i waited 30 seconds (by my watch) and no colouring took place. pressing the "reparse" button on the VAX toolbar makes the colouring re-appear instantly.

i have just done this 3 times in a row, so it is reproducible, at the moment. god only knows how much longer that will be true.

*DOH* saving both files has just fixed this problem

the screen shots show the two states of my .h file. the odd colouring is mentioned in thread 2435 and is still there after saving the file.

using .NET 2003 and VAX 1237

/Edit: fixed broken Image-Tags

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Aug 05 2004 2:35:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ruskialt

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  1:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Why doesn't VA reparse files when saving, and when cpp/h jumping? When will VA reparse?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  2:52:03 PM  Show Profile
VAX will reparse when you are thinking, ie when you are not typing. after a few seconds of inactivity (perhaps 1 or 2 from experience) VAX will leap into action and reparse code.

unless you are typing and swapping files at top speed VAX easily keeps up.

reparsing when you jump between a .h and a .cpp has already been requested:

case=424

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000