New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2004 :  3:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Create a vanilla MFC project. Go to any method in any CPP file. Type in the following two lines:

CFile fil;
fil.Open(

Now try to discover what the arguments are to the CFile::Open() method. Nothing works for me. I have reparsed, rebuilt, cleaned, etc.

Can anyone else duplicate this, or is my machine hopelessly hosed? (Oddly, CFile::Close() displays the tooltip, and the definition in VAX's definition bar, just fine.)

Edited by - LarryLeonard on Jun 16 2004 3:59:20 PM

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  05:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Just created a new project with MFC AppWizard (exe). I opened VATestDoc.cpp, and in CVATestDoc::Serialize started to write:
	CFile fil;
	fil.
dot opened a member list box
	fil.O
list box narrowed with Open selected and arguments displayed in a tooltip, accepted with Tab
	fil.Open(|)
and now I have a cursor inside parentheses and a tooltip with arguments.

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  06:19:27 AM  Show Profile
Are you using .NET 2003 on WinXP Pro like me?
Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  09:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, I didn't notice the post title. No, I'm using VC++ 6.0 (anyway - should it matter for VA X?).

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile
The way it's going for me lately, I'm sure that the phase of the moon, the color of our eyes, and the current LIBOR rate matter to VAX... I can't get the thing to behave consistently to save my life.

Hey, guess what? My double-re-install didn't fix this problem... I still don't get the tooltip for Open(). I wonder if anyone running .NET 2003/XP *does* get the tooltip...
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  10:24:54 AM  Show Profile
I created a new project using File->New->Project... I selected "MFC Application" as the project type. After that I accepted the defaults.

I typed your code at the top of CMainFrame::CMainFrame(). Putting my cursor on Open gives me the following in the definition bar: "using CFile :: Open". I suspect this may be a clue. Typing a comma inside the parentheses doesn't give me any help with the arguments, as it should. Hovering over Open gives me a tooltip with "using CFile :: CFile::Open" (weird spacing is genuine), followed by the function declaration.

I tried using LockRange instead of Open. The definition bar gave me the function declaration, as did typing a comma inside the parentheses.

I'm using .NET 2003, VAX 1233 on XP Pro.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  11:11:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen

I typed your code at the top of CMainFrame::CMainFrame(). Putting my cursor on Open gives me the following in the definition bar: "using CFile :: Open". I suspect this may be a clue.
Weird. I know VAX has problems with "publicizing" methods via the using keyword - but CFile::Open() isn't publicized! It's a virtual method. So why does VAX say "using" there? Is it seeing some CFile-derived class's Open() declaration?

quote:
Typing a comma inside the parentheses doesn't give me any help with the arguments, as it should.
Neither does Ctrl-Shift-space. (Actually, the first time I put a comma inside the parentheses, I got a tooltip that said something like, "int Open(". Of course, now it's two minutes later, so VAX behaves differently, and no longer does that.

quote:
Hovering over Open gives me a tooltip with "using CFile :: CFile::Open" (weird spacing is genuine), followed by the function declaration.
Yeah, my tooltip looks like:

I think the "using" version is keeping VAX from seeing the second version.

quote:
I tried using LockRange instead of Open. The definition bar gave me the function declaration, as did typing a comma inside the parentheses.
Yup, that one works fine for me too.

Thanks for the data point.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  11:32:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm seeing problems with anything that is cascading (X::Y::Z), none of my classes, defined inside of classes, seem to resolve anymore for VAX.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  07:18:49 AM  Show Profile
in my code, the nearest easy test i have is the constructor in a .cpp file:

mtQtPatientPathologyListView::Item::Item( mtQtPatientPathology &pathology, QListViewItem *parent )
{
    m_|
}
where | is the caret. ctrl_space at this point lists the member variables in the class Item, which is defied inside the class mtQtPatientPathologyListView in its .h file.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  2:21:42 PM  Show Profile
File::Open/using proglem will be fixed in 1240.

feline, can you send an example. We tried the simple example below and it appears to work fine.

class cx1
{
	class cx2
	{
		int m_cx2;
		void Methcx2();
	};
};
cx1::cx2::Methcx2()
{
	m_ // suggests m_cx2
}