New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  11:38:59 AM  Show Profile
following on from 2482 it seems that various people are getting confused about what VAX is doing. i know i am

from my own observations using VAX 1239 and VS .NET 2003 VAX seems to have three states:

1. you have just loaded the IDE, a full parse is being done, VAX isn't going to help you until it has finished doing this.

2. VAX is fully caught up, knows what is going on, and works wonderfully.

3. VAX knows some things, but not others. as a result, you cannot predict how VAX is going to react. starting a post to this forum about this seems to fix VAX *um* also reparsing the current file doesn't tend to fix this. only time will fix this.

first up, support, can you relate these 3 states to real internal states? states 1 and 2 seem fairly clear, but can you detect state 3?

assuming you can detect all 3 states, i really want some visual feedback to tell me which state VAX is in. so long as i know that simply stopping and thinking about my code will get VAX out of nasty state 3 and into nice state 2 then i can sit and think, or work without VAX if i am on a role.

we already know from support that writing this info to the status bar isn't very reliable, since VAX doesn't have complete control over this part of the screen.

so, what parts of the screen does VAX have control over?
A. its menu
B. its toolbar and the buttons
C. the wizard bar
D. VA View

putting the state info into the menu isn't going to work
also, any form of popup dialog is going to drive most of us nuts.

VA View isn't an ideal answer, since not everyone has this visible all the time.

so, what about the toolbar and the wizard bar?
a toolbar icon can have two states, enabled and disabled. is it possible to give it three different states / icons?

what about a toolbar icon called "status", which the user has to add. this shows either:
* a red tomato icon - VAX is totally busy
* a yellow tomato icon - VAX is sort of with you, but not fully
* a green tomato icon - VAX is fully up to date

small, simple, not getting in the way, and tells us how we can expect VAX to respond.

if you cannot do this on the toolbar, then how about putting this on the wizard bar next to the GO button. VAX already updates the wizard bar when ever it feels the need, and there aren't any signs of conflicts with the IDE.

so, what do people think of this?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  12:39:58 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great to me. I would only add, why does state 3 take so long (two or three minutes) to clear?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  11:27:14 PM  Show Profile
We are still trying to reproduce or understand state 3. Since a reparse does not fix the problem, it sounds some thread waiting on some resource. What do you do to get it into that state? In this state, is the cpu busy or idle? Does it happen only in particular files? Is it only within particular methods in the file?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  07:22:51 AM  Show Profile
ah, and here i was assuming you knew what was going on . i will try and pin down some details next time i encounter this.

Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  1:37:09 PM  Show Profile
the 'ready' state should be red, surely? As far as I'm aware, green tomatos are not yet ready to eat, and I shudder to think what might be wrong with a yellow tomato...

(but I'm not a conneisseur of tomatos -- don't let the ketchup mastery fool you.)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  2:04:04 PM  Show Profile
i was actually thinking in terms of traffic light colours, rather than tomato's

Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2004 :  3:44:54 PM  Show Profile
What would traffic-lights look like in Tomato-Land, anyway?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  06:22:07 AM  Show Profile
three coloured tomato's on a stick?

quote:
Originally posted by support

We are still trying to reproduce or understand state 3.

see my post dated 21st June in 2493

this is back to front, in that the problem shows up after a delay. still, it definitely reminds me of state 3.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000