New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  7:03:11 PM  Show Profile
today at work, running winXP pro SP1, VS .NET 2003 and VAX 1239 the IDE crashed on me. the crash was totally silent. normally when something crashes i get a box pop up telling me that the program has performed an illegal operation, do i want do debug, etc.

i didn't get that. in fact, i got nothing at all. one instant the IDE was there, and then it was gone. it looked like i had hit alt_F4 to close it, but i hadn't. also, my latest changes were unsaved.

normally VS is quite stable on my work machine.

this evening, on my home machine, winXP pro, SP1, VS .NET and VAX 1237 i had the IDE crash in the same silent manor 4 times in 10 minutes!

i was starting a new project, and i had to add in and set up the source files 5 times as a result!

in every case, the crash happened when i pressed Tab while editing my C++ source code. at work, and on at least 1 occasion at home i had pressed Tab in the hope of getting VAX to offer up some suggestions for the symbol i was typing.

so, i am wondering if VAX is an issue in these crashes.

does anyone else get totally silent crashes? more importantly, does anyone know how i can get a stack, or anything, to help determine the cause of the crash? i certainly didn't get any option to debug the IDE *sigh*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

rblondeau
Tomato Guru

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  8:12:29 PM  Show Profile
I've had exactly the same thing except that my entire machine rebooted. I'm running .NET 2002 though.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  10:21:15 PM  Show Profile
feline, Look for a .dmp file in "C:\\Documents and Settings\\???\\Local Settings\\Temp".

rblondeau, System reboots are usually caused by a driver or hardware problem.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  12:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Silent crashes are not common, at least not ones that point to VA X.

Build 1239 fixes a crash-on-exit problem. Nothing related to pressing Tab.

Do you have any other add-ins installed? Check Tools|Add-in Manager. Disable other add-ins to see if you have a conflict.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  07:06:27 AM  Show Profile
there are no other addins at work or at home, so nothing to disable there.

also, no sign of any dmp files from yesterday on my work machine. i have just searched both hard disks just to be sure (i have 3 directory's under local settings due to this machines checkered past), and there are no dmp files for the last 2 days *sigh*

i do have window blinds (changes the visual style look of windows programs) skinning VS at home. i will try disabling that. VS at home is definitely quite unstable.

i will have a look for dmp files at home tonight, and also will check next time VS crashes.

in a way it is good if VAX isn't the cause, but this does mean you cannot fix the problem

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000