New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  03:21:45 AM  Show Profile
VAX 1242 often freezes when solution opened, or during code edition. (VS.NET 2003; Windows XP Pro SP1).
Two times for last day

IAF

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  08:14:15 AM  Show Profile
Any chance you could reproduce with logging enabled? Is the cpu spinning or idle?

Anybody else noticing this?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  11:56:11 AM  Show Profile
Support, have a look at the mails I've sent you during the weekend regarding lockups. Its from 1240, but i think you didnt change anything related to that in 1242.

Edited by - Uniwares on Jul 05 2004 3:26:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  1:26:52 PM  Show Profile
CPU is idle and memory usage has no changes. Looks like EnterCriticalSection (or something like this) locks up.

IAF
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  8:12:18 PM  Show Profile
Is "Prefer default Intellisense" enabled?

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  8:26:28 PM  Show Profile
We are unable to reproduce the problem despite the scenarios Uniwares provided via email.

If the problem is reproducible, do you mind enabling logging and trying again? When you get the hang, wait three minutes before killing the IDE. Zip and send us c:\\va.log.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2004 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile
We guessed at the problem and added a possible fix to build 1244. We also added more logging in what we believe is the relevant code.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1244.exe

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  11:01:53 AM  Show Profile
1246 - still locking up randomly. Processor at 0%.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  1:51:43 PM  Show Profile
It gets pretty annoying. What do you need me to do, to have enough information to fix it?
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Strange thing, Andreas, I coded the whole weekend through (with the occasional sleeping-break) and it never crashed or froze the IDE.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  5:03:46 PM  Show Profile
.NET 2002 crashes and just disappears occasionally with 1246 (and most other builds too) but it never locks like this.

under UNIX you can kill a process and get a stack dump of its current state. is this sort of thing an option for you Uniwares? i am guessing a stack trace would at least give some clues.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  02:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Yesterday I saw the freezing effect for the first (and second) time.
I was a bit in a hurry, so I force VS.Net (2002) to shut down and restarted it. Fairly fast after the first time (after a forced close) it froze the second time. ( I'm really glad VA X is able recover my work at days when there is much to type and less to test )

Besides, another time it froze for one and a half minutes, while the title bar was kind of refreshing its title constantly; the title (not the titlebar) flashed very fast. But then I could resume. After saving all my stuff and typing for a few minutes VStudio hang (froze).

In all three cases (2 x freezing, 1 x temporary hang) I was typing or using/requesting the suggestion box.

Yesterday I was playing with the "Use default Intellisense" option. (switching it from on to off).
I'll turn it off again today.

I hope this might hold a little clue for you.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2004 :  04:03:38 AM  Show Profile
I had no crashed or freezes in VS6 and VS.NET 2003. Is it only VS.NET 2002 - which I don't use any more - where VAX has this behaviour???

Bye,
SvenC
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2004 :  06:51:55 AM  Show Profile
the first post in this thread reported this problem with .NET 2003, and from memory Uniwares may be using .NET 2003

having said that i use .NET 2003 at work (when i actually get to do some windows programming) and i have not had this problem either.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2004 :  09:16:23 AM  Show Profile
Sorry - didn't read the thread carefully enough.
Up to 1241 I had startup crashes as well which after a while could be identified with the help of mini dumps. While VS.Net hangs can you start WinDbg to attach to the devenv.exe and save a mini dump? Maybe that would help to see if va_x.dll is anywhere on the call stack of a thread which is spinning or waiting on something?
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2004 :  06:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I had a hang, just now. I had two instances open one of them hang itself (CPU usage to 100% - at both of my processors).

I couldn't use other instances while the "freeze" or "hang" was going on. I did see in the Task manager that DevEnv.exe had a high CPU-time consumption, and so did Avp32.exe. I don't know the exact figures but DevEnv.exe was using more than 60% and Avp32.exe about 30%.

I hope you can fix it in the near future.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  03:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I noted that I mainly (only?) get these freezes, when I have more than one instance of Visual Studio open.
(A collegue and I have a 2-user license; if that may be a clue.)

I'm running on a multi-processor (2 processors) computer.

In the two instances, I open different solutions, but with some projects which are the same (same location, same project-file, etc.).
I sometimes (but not only) get a freeze when I'm changing some of the "shared" code.

I hope this helps somehow.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  07:07:43 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I was working (using two instances of VA X) when Visual Studio started displaying a non-coloured (c.q. only coloured by Visual Studio) and it behaved slower. I thought I was going to hang and I disabled VA. I saw a message appearing about some NULL-pointer.
I went to the other instance and it produced only a title bar, but with a height of one full screen. I closed this instance down. I thought this instance would be the culprit. So I went back to the other instance and turned on VA X again. Now I received this NULL-pointer error message again.
I opened another instance of VS and tried to attach it, but it failed, because I had to "wait until the buggee has loaded". And it never happend.
So I pressed OK in the first instance, then it was forced to shutdown.

I really hope that this matter is resolved soon (because this is annoying, as you will understand).

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000