1246 stalls when swiping line of code
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MJEber

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  09:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Just found this one the other day. It may be related to searching reference base.

When swipping an entire line of code for deletion, starting at the end of the line and swiping the mouse to the start of the line, the highlight stalls for as long as 30 seconds before the highlighting completes. It is not something I normally do when coding fresh code, but it is something I do frequently when adding functionality to existing code. Since we are deploying Agile Development here, this would be a killer to using this tool in my company.

Reproduction:

Open a solution and then open one of the class libraries.
Move down into one of the methods and select a line of code
for best effects choose one that ends with a method call.
ie: simpleData = convertBase(this, complexData).ToString();

Start at the semicolon and quickly swipe the entire line with the mouse. I regularlly repro the problem with this action, and enough times to warrant filing a bug report. Using Visual Studio 2003.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  8:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Anyone else with this problem? We cannot reproduce it, and we would be rather annoyed if it happened frequently.
Go to Top of Page

Mike from reFX

24 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2004 :  05:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I guess it's the same problem as mine. Sporadic hanging for several (up to 30!) seconds when typing (suggestion box comes up), copying etc. It's only VAX and Spybot doing this, so I think we can rule out hardware failures. Since older versions (1237 in my case) work quite well, I assume this is one of the 3rd party libraries you mentioned in one of your older posts that has problems with multi-CPU machines (and a P4 with HT *IS* a multi-CPU machine).

Cheers,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2004 :  07:37:33 AM  Show Profile
unable to reproduce this here using VS .NET 2003 and VAX 1246

MJEber, is this happening with a specific library? almost certainly i tried different library files to you. if i have the same libraries and cpp files then i can try the same lines as you, to see if i can reproduce this.

if you are mainly a keyboard user, pressing ctrl_c with the caret on the desired line and nothing selected copies the entire line. i discovered this by accident, and find it very useful.

hopefully that wont lock up the IDE in the same way.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000