Technical Support
 VAX stuck in non-assist mode
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bsegall

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  1:07:47 PM  Show Profile
This has happened to me in the past when there is a syntax error in a line above, such as forgetting a semicolon after a variable declaration. VAX parsing is obviously confused and doesn't give auto-completes anymore, which is to be expected.

However, it's now happening when there are no syntax errors. For instance, I type a function name (strangely, for which it DOES suggest auto-completes) but then after typing the opening paranthesis, there is no tooltip for the function parameters. As well, there is no more auto-complete box for member variables (typing m_ shows nothing). Sometimes, hitting the "reparse current file" button solves the problem. But it usually doesn't.

I can hover over the function to get the parameter tooltip, but it won't show me the 'inline' tooltip as I am typing in parameters. Weird.

What can cause VAX to behave like this? I would like to know if it's my fault.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  05:34:27 AM  Show Profile
you could try selecting the entire file and telling the IDE to format the selection (CTRL_K + CTRL_F on .NET 2003)

this should pick up any unexpected code in the file, since the indent level will go to pot. on the down side it will upset any custom indenting you have done.

the only thing i know that will cause this is a syntax error somewhere in the file.

*ah* is it possible this function is a member of a class that VAX doesnt know anything about? if the .h hasnt been added to the project yet then you might get this effect.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  12:03:08 AM  Show Profile
A declaration need sto be in a header before VA X will suggest parameters for its implementation, and you need a fairly recent build of VA X. This feature was broken for a while.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000