New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  09:18:34 AM  Show Profile
(C++, VS.NET 2002, VAX 1246)

If find next by context (or indeed find previous by context) can't find the item, it should return you to the previous cursor point before producing the "Cannot find the string 'blah blah'." message box. As it stands, it puts you at the end of the document. Thus you can end up getting lost, particularly if you were using this to follow someone else's code that you're not familiar with.

Also annoying is that it puts me in column 3,837, so for a heart stopping moment it appears all the code has vanished.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  3:19:12 PM  Show Profile
The find-by-context commands should wrap to top of file. This happens for us with various symbols.

Does your crash-into-EOF problem happen with all symbols?
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  10:14:12 AM  Show Profile
It seems _much_ more likely to happen if editing a file with Japanese characters in it. In fact, I don't think I've ever had find by context work in files containing Japanese. (This is using a double-byte encoding scheme rather than unicode. I don't know much about it; I just have it installed so I can copy and paste into babel fish.)

Having said that, it doesn't always work in files containing just English either... there's no obvious pattern, though. To be honest, I'm not that bothered if it doesn't work all the time, if it just put you back to the old position when it can't do anything.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000