New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2004 :  12:42:45 PM  Show Profile
http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1244.exe

You can install build 1244 with or without a reset of VS.NET. If you reset, you get two minor fixes:
1. No longer hijack entries, of other Add-ins, meant for Tools menu.
2. Navigation commands Alt+Left and Alt+Right are exposed so they can be assigned.

We do not expect to force a reset of VS.NET in the near future.

Fixes are described at:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.html

No changes to code templates in build 1244.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Edited by - support on Jul 16 2004 09:35:17 AM

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  02:19:06 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Just a question about installing build 1244, more specific the update/reset of VS.Net.

Last Friday when I've installed build 1244, for some reasons I had no administrator rights anymore (for which VA X isn't the culprit), but I couldn't install VA X. So I logged on as Administrator on my machine and installed VA X, with an reset of VS.Net. Then I logged off. When I logged on as myself, VA X appeared to be installed fine. (The about information stated: "VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1244.0".)

But I've noticed that my toolbars aren't reset in VS.Net.

There are two possibilities here:
1. On my own account, I do have the updated version, only my toolbars aren't reset (thanks!). So this could be a way to avoid resetting the toolbars.
or:
2. On my own account, the update wasn't carried out. So this means that everyone using VA X on a computer should install VA X by him/her-self.

How can I check that I have the update installed?

For your interest: Normally, I install VA X from my own account.
When installing build 1246 (today; Monday), the VA X installer didn't do a force reset of VS.Net. It asked me if it should reset VS.Net, but I clicked "No".

I hope this information is of some use to you, support. I'd love to read something more about this. When I can help you on this, please let me know.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Edited by - PatLuja on Jul 12 2004 02:28:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  04:02:37 AM  Show Profile
Patluja, I don't know about the specifics of your post. But I do know that VAX attempts to write to its installation dictionary during normal operation.

When you install the program to its default location in Program Files, it cannot do that unless you're logged in as admin, because Program Files is write-protected for users without admin privileges.

If you want/have to work without admin privileges, you must install VAX to a directory outside of Program Files.

Note to support: Would be nice if the VAX installer informed people of this fact, and/or if the program was fixed to put all its transient data (cache, user dictionary, whatever) into the current user's Application Data folder where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  1:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Pat:
We assume case #1 is correct. You have the update and your toolbars were not reset.

If we recall correctly, build 1244 did not require a reset. You still had the option. You did/do not need to take the reset. If you do not, you do not get the minor fixes related to assignment of navigation commands and hijacking of Tools entries. No problem.

Our About node tells us which of our DLLs you run. This is most important. (We do not know when you last did a reset of VS.NET.)

We agree it would be nice if VA X put transient data elsewhere. Unfortunately, the task is messier than it seems. Hence, our delay in making it happen.

case=169

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  01:59:06 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Just a little something to think about:
What do you do if someone, at some company, is some hobby-developer
whom has no administrator privileges? If this user asks his/her
administrator to install Visual Assist X, is the user (logged in under
his/her own account) able to fully enjoy Visual Assist X?

(In the XP - and maybe some other - operating systems, you can start -
from the users account - the installer as administrator. This might
help, but I''m not sure if Visual Studio is reset correctly then.)

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  1:09:14 PM  Show Profile
VA X needs admin privileges for some of the things it does during install.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  02:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Support,

Is there a way that people without administrator privileges can reset their toolbar in VS.Net? (So they can fully enjoy Visual Assist...) Maybe somewhere else then in the installer?

Or do you need the administrator privileges to reset the toolbar? If so, do you have plans to fix this?

Are there any people, that are contributing to this forum, whom have to cope without administrator privileges? (So Whole Tomato can make an estimate how serious this problem is.)

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  6:30:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by patluja

Are there any people, that are contributing to this forum, whom have to cope without administrator privileges? (So Whole Tomato can make an estimate how serious this problem is.)

i have definitely discussed this with someone in the last few months, but i am not sure if it was at this forum or not *sigh*

from memory, the comment was that this is standard procedure in large corporations. you are logging in without admin privileges, and the company aren't interested in giving them to you.

the only official reason for me having admin privileges on my work machine is that the in house terminal emulator wont run unless you have these rights due to the highly secure registry key it hides its licensing info in. just goes to prove that the product has one use (you would understand if you ever had to use it )

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Aug 03 2004 6:31:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  08:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it true that in the large corporations that restrict in this manner, there are admins that handle these installs for you?

I will say, though, that at the large corporations I've worked at, Developers typically have admin access to their own machines. My wife worked at one that did not do this, but they had an administrator dedicated directly to her team to handle stuff like Visual Assist installs.

Most software I install requires Admin privileges to install it.

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  09:30:07 AM  Show Profile
Every application does need Admin-access during install (at least when you want to install it in your C:\\Program Files\\ Folder.

Reason:
A normal User does NOT have writing acces to the Program-Files Directory!

This is why MS puts all the Application-Settings into C:\\Documents and Settings\\USERNAME\\Application Data
Cause there, every User has write-access to. Have a look. You'll find your Outlook-Settings (Junk-Senders, IE Quicklaunch Bar etc.) in there and NOT in Program Files\\Microsoft Outlook\\ ...

MS advises every Developer to store any config-files (if needed) into that User-folder...

Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  05:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

And still... If some user doesn't have administator rights, then his/her toolbars in Visual Studio aren't reset. So can this user then use all possible VA X stuff?

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000