Delay at startup
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baga
Tomato Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  7:26:38 PM  Show Profile
The fact that VAX is not fully operational at startup (just after opening project) is becoming annoying. Especially because i almost always use Alt-Shift-O to open files, instead of browsing in a project list.

I understand, that it takes some time to do things, but can we have at least some indication that it is non-operational yet? Like when i press Alt-Shift-O, i don't see empty dialog, instead i see some dialog, saying "VAX working..." and cancel button, which is then replaced by real dialog. Progress bar would be nice too, if you can estimate how much time is needed.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  12:15:40 AM  Show Profile
Alt+Shift+O is empty until parsing is complete, but parsing does not start until you open at least one file in your project. This is certainly annoying.

case=15
Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  03:43:00 AM  Show Profile
By the way, is there a technical reason why parsing doesn't start until a file is opened?

Visual Studio takes forever to load a large solution anyway, so tend to go off and do something else until it's finished. It's somewhat annoying that I then have to wait some more (or suffer a slowdown) because VAX starts parsing as soon as I open a file.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2004 :  12:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Chris, if you are using .NET could you use:
file -> recent project -> list of projects ?

i have this set to show me the last 8 projects i have opened. when using this VS remembers which code files were open, and automatically re-opens them for me. since the code is opened, VAX starts to parse immediately.

i presume there is a similar option in VS 6 but since i don't have it installed i cannot check.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  03:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Yes, if I had files open when last closing the IDE they are re-opened, and parsing starts immediately. However, I don't always have files open when I shut down VS. :)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  10:58:42 AM  Show Profile
" By the way, is there a technical reason why parsing doesn't start until a file is opened?"

No reason, will be fixed in the next build(1256).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  7:58:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Nahr

Yes, if I had files open when last closing the IDE they are re-opened, and parsing starts immediately. However, I don't always have files open when I shut down VS. :)

that seems odd to me. why bother closing the files before closing the IDE?

still, good news that this is fixed

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  05:27:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

" By the way, is there a technical reason why parsing doesn't start until a file is opened?"

No reason, will be fixed in the next build(1256).

No reason? AFAIR you said, that you don't get information that project has been opened until opening a file. So is it no longer a technical reason?

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

stephilo

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  09:20:34 AM  Show Profile
Ever since I installed VAX 1246, starting my MSDev 6.0 (which automatically opens my DSW project) takes at least 5X more time to appear. In fact, I get the MSDev splash screen and then it takes forever to get the VAX splash screen and then the MSDev studio frame. The fact that I have files opened or not at the beggining does not change anything. I have also tried the usual trick with MSDev (deleting the NCB, etc. files) but that does not resolve my problem. It is only when I remove VAX that the startup time returns to normal.

Has anyone seen this ?

Stephilo
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  11:22:59 AM  Show Profile
stephilo: The problem you describe is quite different from the problem with OFIW not being avaialble until a file is opened. You problem probably warrants its own thread. That said...

We don't recall any similar reports. Something is whacked.

Do you have any other add-ins installed? If so, remove them temporarily to see if you have a conflict. Tools|Customize|Add-ins.

Are you running in trial mode? (Not sure how this might play into the problem.)
Go to Top of Page

stephilo

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  11:41:05 AM  Show Profile
VAX is the only add-ins I have right now. But, you have putted me on the right track to find the problem. A while ago, I had submitted a bug report because I am aslo using Compaq Visual Fortran for which, Visual assist is creating a conflict. The solution you gave me for the problem was to activate / de-activate in the registry the Visual assist DLL. This ".reg" file was still specyfing my old Visual asssit 6.0 folder... I found the problem by looking in the Add-ins option of MSDev, as you told me...

Problem solved !! Thanks !

Stephilo
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  5:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Fixed in build 1272.

OFIW dialog populates when parsing is done.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000