New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  10:58:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi

When a project is first loaded, open file in workspace doesn't work, giving you an empty list. It doesn't work until you've opened a file using the solution explorer. Please, could this be fixed?

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  1:29:28 PM  Show Profile
We think the problem is that the OFIW dialog is empty until parsing of the project is complete.

Is this the case for you?

case=15
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  07:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Judging by the status bar, it looks as if VAX doesn't do anything until the first file is opened. So if you open a project that happens to have a file open, you're OK; otherwise, VAX doesn't wake up to fill in the OFIW dialog.

(VS.NET crashes a lot for me and so quite often when reloading the solution no files are opened.)
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  07:17:25 AM  Show Profile
Umm... yeah, so in answer to your actual question, rather than a vaguely related bit of waffling:

Yes.

:)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  12:28:00 PM  Show Profile
We like you humor, particularly on a Monday morning.

We can reproduce the problem. The OFIW dialog is empty until the first file is opened, and then until subsequent parsing is complete.

Unfortunately, we cannot fix the problem such that the OFIW is populated sooner. VA X learns what files are part of your project during the parse, eg what headers are #included. We will need a goofy message -- something about the command not being available yet.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  4:56:51 PM  Show Profile
its been a long day, so goofy i can do

how about:

"In the beginning was nothing, waiting for something to happen, something to give it substance. In much the same way VAX is waiting for the IDE to tell us there is something here, so we can start.

Please open a file so we start to parse :)"

perhaps not the message you want to go with, but somehow it seems apt

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2004 :  04:57:46 AM  Show Profile
But didn't previous versions of VAX start parsing before you openend the first file? However, it was only recently that I started using OFIW all the time, so I could be mistaken...

(I guess you could cache the files list per-project somewhere, and rebuild the list once a file is actually opened, under the assumption the project won't change unless it's been loaded into VC++, but I'm aware that these "simple" suggestions are quite often anything but. And this could break autogenerated projcets too.)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2004 :  7:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Your "awareness" is correct. It's why we don't yet have a good workaround in this case. We can't even come up with a good hack.

Still on the list... relatively near the top.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  5:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Fixed in build 1272.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page