New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

janiv

Israel
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  06:28:36 AM  Show Profile
USING 1246 version.

When I press the TAB button in order to complete my var name or function name, the MSDN crashes if the Completion cannot be made, hence, if I write "bRe" and I press TAB the MSDN crashes if no variable or function name starting with "bRe".

10x,
Janiv,

Edited by - janiv on Aug 11 2004 06:29:16 AM

yuri
Ketchup Master

USA
85 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  07:19:03 AM  Show Profile
I've had this problem ever since 1244 (I think). I couldn't isolate it. It's very random. When the IDE (.NET 2k3) would crash, I would lose all previously changed files, Ughhh!!! It crashed on me the other day, I loaded the IDE back up and tried it again, by pressing TAB on the variable, with success. So, I have no frigin' clue as to why it crashes. It seems like if VAX cannot show the box and tries to use the default one it has a really hard time.

Using 1246, .NET 2k3 no plugins, except VAX of course, or strange background colors. The only thing changed is the include directories.

Can anybody isolate this problem better than I? It seems to be very random. Sometimes the IDE will crash, using TAB, twice a day or nothing for 10 days.

INFO (English version):
VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1246.0
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1: ???@???.??? (1-user license)
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.44
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2800.1106
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
Single processor

Platform:
Stable Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\sdk\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
???

Other Includes:
???

Edited by - yuri on Aug 11 2004 07:23:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

janiv

Israel
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  07:22:15 AM  Show Profile
For me it is not random.
It happens all the time.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile
Which Programming Language are you coding in, when this happens?

Just to clarify things:
You type "bRe", a suggestion-listbox (the one with the red tomatoes) shows up, you press TAB to select an Item, and the IDE (MSDN? You surely mean the IDE, right?) crashes although VAX did suggest something to you?

Go to Top of Page

janiv

Israel
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  09:10:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm using VS.NET writing C++/MFC.
to clarify:
I type "bRe", a suggestion-listbox is not shown, cause there is no such a variable !!!
When I press the TAB key, the VS.NET IDE craches (disappear, with no Message/reason).
10x.
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  12:54:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm using VA1246 and VS 6 and C++ and when I type bRe and tab it inserts "break" for me. It doesn't crash.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  2:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Same here, I simply cannot reproduce it.

janiv, would you mind enabling logging in Visual Assist X (Options -> Performance -> Enable Logging)?
Logging doesn't survive a restart of VS .NET, so next time you startup VS.NET, logging is disabled again.

Could you enable logging, try to force it into a crash and zip the files "va.log" and "VAssist.log" (both located in the root of Drive C:\\) and mail them to Support-Mail?
If you do so, please write TopicID=2743 into the mailbody.

Thanks in advance for your valuable help and time!

Maybe we'll find more clues in the log...

Go to Top of Page

yuri
Ketchup Master

USA
85 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  2:31:28 PM  Show Profile
Maybe we can put a rest to this very annoying little bug. I'm glad that janiv has the problem all the time, sorry to say janiv, but it isolates this crappy little thing in your corner. Others and myself can't reproduce it on regularity. If your logs can show the bugs it would make all of us with this problem very happy people. :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  3:14:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by janiv

When I press the TAB key, the VS.NET IDE craches (disappear, with no Message/reason).

ahha! this is exactly what happens to me as well!
using .NET 2002 with VAX 1246 on winXP pro at home.
normally there is a slight delay, then the IDE simply disappears. no dialog, no error message, no warning.

no pattern at all for me. i have had it happen 10 times in 1 hour (a particularly bad night) but other days it doesn't happen at all.

there is one difference, since this happens to me when i have the start of a valid symbol, eg "str" which should suggest "strInfo" and "strData".

i will try and capture a log of the event as well.

programming in C++ using Qt libraries from trolltech.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Aug 11 2004 3:15:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  9:09:06 PM  Show Profile
I can make this happen at will too. Windows 2000, VS.NET 2003, VAX 1246.

If I start typing something like:
CSimpleArray<Object*> m_obz
and since nothing starts with m_obz, no popup box comes up
I hit tab immediately after typing the z, vs.net crashes, no error message or anything, it just closes up. It does not happen when VAX is not loaded.

I'm using WTL from MS and I have no other plugins (since I have VAX, what else would I need ;-)
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  9:14:29 PM  Show Profile
I've sent off my logs too. Hope you can track something down on this.
Go to Top of Page

Shep
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  06:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Phew. I am not alone with this bug then. I get caught 2-3 times a day. Log sent.
Go to Top of Page

ves

6 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  08:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Do you think this might be related to:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2696

Looking forward for a fix. Otherwise I cannot use this product.
Hopefully WholeTomato has the needed log file to isolate the problem.

Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  11:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Dunno, didn't even get a response to say that they received my email.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2004 :  8:41:04 PM  Show Profile
If no symbol exists when you type foo<tab>, VA X lets default Intellisense try to generate a listbox. Default Intellisense crashes when NCB files are corrupt. Can you try exiting your IDE and removing the NCB files associated with your project(s)?
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2004 :  9:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps we haven't explained it well enough then. It doesn't have anything to do with intellisense and doesn't crash when hitting tab because vs.net doesn't do anything when hitting the tab button except to put a tab in. It's when VAX tries to guess the word you are typing.

But anyways, I tried it with VAX turned off, no crash, I turned VAX on, it crashed. I deleted the ncb file and restarted vs.net with VAX on, and it crashed.

Can you duplicate the problem?

When I start typing m_ VAX pops up a list with the tomato icons of words it thinks I might be typing, when I type a letter that doesn't correspond to something in VAX's list the tomato list disappears, another list box appears (I think with everything for that class in it) and then vs.net crashes. So it appears that VAX is doing something bad when it tries to display that list. VS.NET doesn't crash for me in any other situation.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2004 :  11:55:33 PM  Show Profile
You say, "another list box appears" after the tomato list disappears. If we understand you correctly, we do not expect this to occur.

If you type another character, another tomato list might appear. If you press dot or Ctrl+Space a completion listbox opens.

Any chance you can send or post a snippet of code that includes "other listbox that appears?"
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  05:15:58 AM  Show Profile
Not sure I understand. It has nothing specifically to do with my particular code. It pops up too quickly and vs.net dies right away so I won't be able to capture a screen shot I don't think. I'll try though.
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  05:27:54 AM  Show Profile
Okay, hitting m_ in this code produces this list:

Typing a few more letters that don't match the tomato list causes the tomato list to disappear. Hitting tab after the tomato list disappears causes this list to disappear:

This second list appears for a second and then vs.net crashes without a message.

The scenario is usually this. I start typing the name of the variable and I assume I get it right from the tomato list so I hit tab thinking VAX will fill in the rest, but I make a mistake in typing the name but hit tab before I realize it (cause I'm a super fast typist ;-).
Go to Top of Page

janiv

Israel
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  05:32:06 AM  Show Profile
It happens to me too, witout showing the "other" (VS NET) menu, right after the first TAB press the IDE is disappeared.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  06:20:10 AM  Show Profile
nalenb, i can explain why you are seeing the boxes you are seeing.
you start typing, and you get a suggestion suggestion listbox
keep on typing, and this disapears.
with no suggestion listbox present, and half a symbol, tab brings up a completion listbox. since this list shrinks as i type, it must be a VAX list box.

however, none of this helps to explain the crash

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

yuri
Ketchup Master

USA
85 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  06:54:55 AM  Show Profile
It has only happened once in the last 4 days. I wish I could grab a log but it's so random. Like others have said there is a pause before it dies. My CPU jumps to 100% then boom I'm staring at the desktop. It's very frustrating to lose changes that have been made to the code. I hate wasting an hour trying to figure out what has been changed. This is most definitly in VAX's corner. I really, really hope this gets isolated and fixed. It's almost a show stopper. I remember one really bad day, long time ago, where I had it crash atleast 5 times in a span of a few hours, smacks self on head for not turning on logger. I had to turn off VAX to get any work done. I've swithed back to 1244 and so far things are good.

I don't like going back to plain IDE. Once you've had VAX, you will never go back.
Go to Top of Page

ves

6 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  08:37:46 AM  Show Profile
Mine was crashing only just by scrolling up/down or paging up/down
was using 1237, 1239, 1246

Edited by - ves on Aug 19 2004 08:41:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  4:38:12 PM  Show Profile
We believe this workaround might solve the problem:

Disable "Open completion listboxes when Tab is pressed" in the Text Editor|Completion node of our options dialog.

Disable the Statement Completion Options in the IDE options dialog. Disable them for the languages you use that VA X supports, or for "All Langugaes." Restart your IDE.
Go to Top of Page

ves

6 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  4:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Have you guys from WholeTomato been able to replicate the crash, or you are just guessing?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  6:00:27 PM  Show Profile
We reproduced a crash and suspect it is the one(s) you experience. We are making a reasonably educated guess. (The crash we fixed occurs upon several events.)

We believe the pause some experience is from default Intellisense becoming active, hence the suggested workaround to disable it.

The crash fix will be released first in an early beta for VA X 10.1. If you want to participate in the beta, send us an email with your member name from this forum, and record of your VA X license. The info is in our About tab.

Go to Top of Page

oka4

Russia
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  11:06:05 AM  Show Profile
Hello, support!

I checked our some problems with VisualAssist once I installed QT (www.trolltech.com) & tried to use auto-completion based QT header files in MSDEV. The problem is incorrect working of auto-completion (it doesn't run at all in VisualAssist this way...)!
QT is the cross-platform developer environment using the special C++ syntax based on slots and signals. Slots and signals are equal to C++ functions but QT implements the special syntax just after key G??publicG?? in header files once they declare slots or signalsG? For example:

public slots:
void animateClick();
void toggle();

signals:
void pressed();
void released();
void clicked();
void toggled( bool );
void stateChanged( int );

Really G??slotsG?? and G??signalsG?? is declared as the following #defines:

#ifdef QT_MOC_CPP
#define slots slots
#define signals signals
#define Q_CLASSINFO( name, value ) Q_CLASSINFO( name, value )
#define Q_PROPERTY( text ) Q_PROPERTY( text )
#define Q_OVERRIDE( text ) Q_OVERRIDE( text )
#define Q_ENUMS( x ) Q_ENUMS( x )
#define Q_SETS( x ) Q_SETS( x )
/* tmake ignore Q_OBJECT */
#define Q_OBJECT Q_OBJECT
/* tmake ignore Q_OBJECT */
#define Q_OBJECT_FAKE Q_OBJECT_FAKE

#else
#define slots //: in class
#define signals protected // in class
#ifndef QT_NO_EMIT
#define emit // emit signal
#endif

so compiler compiles all rightG? but Visual Assist canG??t activate auto-completion correctly! Once I remove key word 'slots' then VisualAssist parses the corresponding file and auto-completing works fine! But the problem persists once I reload MSDEV... I have got the same problem againG?

Regards, Kirill Osipov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000