New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ivan
Ketchup Master

Russia
75 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2004 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile
This is something I've been meaning to ask for a long time...

What's the purpose of this forum? You guys have a public forum, which everybody can access, a 'private beta' forum (this one), which can be accessed by registered users upon their request, and a 'private private beta' forum, which can be accessed by registered users upon yet another request and where the new betas of VA X 10.1 supposedly reside.

I'm curious, is there also a 'private private private beta' forum which people who can access the 'private private beta' forum cannot access unless they ask yet again, and if there is, how many levels deep does this madness go?

Seriously, though... as far as I understand, this forum was supposed to be the place where new beta versions are placed. People who asked to get access to this forum did it on purpose, and I believe that purpose was to be able to try the new versions before they reach 'stable' state. That is, everybody who can see this post was willing to take the risk of using unstable versions, (and willing to use them, to start with). Now it turns out that the new betas are released in a different forum, so what's this one for?

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2004 :  6:21:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been wondering about everything you mentioned above as well, but I didn't want to be the first to say it.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  02:28:27 AM  Show Profile
We have many members in our beta forum. Instead of dumping the first few builds of VA X 10.1 on the entire beta audience, we thought we'd limit it to a smaller audience. We didn't see any point in wasting everyone's time with a first set of obvious bugs.

We expect to close the "private beta" forum soon -- either with the next build of VA X 10.1, or the one thereafter.

We will issue VA X 10.1 builds to the beta forum thereafter.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  02:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Ivan, why do you think it's called VA X; it has ten levels of private forums of course...

I must say Ivan and Ether have a point. Maybe the time has come to join the private forum with the public one and keep only one private forum, only a few people can access (and which will see to it that the people in the public forum hear from it frequently).
On the other hand, the Whole Tomato team might, have bigger plans for us...

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  09:03:37 AM  Show Profile
the 10.1 small beta testing group seems to be a one off special case. when you see the extent of the changes, it will make more sense. this isnt really a small step forward beta.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  09:31:54 AM  Show Profile
It is pretty easy:

General Forums:
Everybody has access, the builds released here are the most stable ones.

Private Forum:
Here, you will get access to the newest builds. For example, Build 1246 was released here (in the private forum) about 10 days earlier than in the publics.
Within this forum, we all are volunteers. That's why it is "hidden" to others.

Private 10.1 Forum:
Pretty short-lived, cause soon enough (when all major bugs are out) it'll be released to the general "beta-testing crowd".

It is that simple:
No time for adventures?
Stay in the Public forum with the public builds.

Helpful, having some spare-time and love risky adventures?
Welcome to the private Beta-Forum! Your input is appreciated!

Not even fearing death or a complete re-install?
Hell, come down to the 10.1 Forum, where the term "risk" is redefined...

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Sep 17 2004 09:34:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

ivan
Ketchup Master

Russia
75 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile
I understand that. Yet I think two sticky topics 'Build 1246 available' and 'v10.1 beta build xxxx available' (the latter with 'careful! has bugs that can damage your hardware!' warning inside, written in big bold red letters) could coexist quite well in this forum (which, by the way, isn't suffering from too many people posting - it's been almost completely abandoned since the creation of the 10.1 one). But oh well, I'm sure you had your reasons for creating a separate forum...
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2004 :  4:10:27 PM  Show Profile
My sentiments exactly. This is the beta forum. All betas should be available here, regardless of their stability.

There has been no activity on VA X 12xx for quite some time. Which, in turn, brings up the question, "what's the point of this forum?"
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2004 :  12:36:14 AM  Show Profile
Our next build of VA X 10.1 will be posted to the beta forum, i.e. to a wider audience.

You will need to know the secret handshake to download it.
Go to Top of Page

ivan
Ketchup Master

Russia
75 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2004 :  4:44:36 PM  Show Profile
All right, bring it on!

Just out of curiosity, how buggy is it? ;)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2004 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile
well, i haven't had to reinstall yet

still, the first 10.1 beta produced quite a few bug reports

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2004 :  04:09:35 AM  Show Profile
"when you see the extent of the changes, it will make more sense. this isnt really a small step forward beta."

How depressing. Why can't we just have the bugs fixed? Past experience suggests that if it's not a small step forward it will instead be a large step backwards.

I'd like a version which didn't randomly insert tabs, and didn't randomly delete text when completing symbols. And one which refreshed the display colouring properly without having to force a window re-paint would be nice, although I have pretty much given-up hope of this last point.

I have a nasty feeling we're about (?) to get yet another shaky version where the new features and the regressions hold an evenly matched competition for attention.

Will

Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2004 :  04:44:09 AM  Show Profile
The official story is that the 10.1 code is simpler than the 10.0 code, which should make it easier to fix bugs. I hope it's true. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I share your apprehension, and made a similar point in the 10.1 forum last week. Other old-timers like ether have also made the same point. To me, VA X 10.0 still feels less solid than VA.NET, but maybe my memory of VA.NET is faulty.

And if we're preparing wishlists, I'd like a version that could parse templates.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004

Edited by - Stephen on Sep 21 2004 04:45:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2004 :  08:43:39 AM  Show Profile
"To me, VA X 10.0 still feels less solid than VA.NET, but maybe my memory of VA.NET is faulty"

Your memory seems pretty good to me. VA X has some things better than 7.x, but it's generally a lower quality product.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000