Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 .NET2003/1246 - Characters get interchanged??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  4:38:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure if this is a VAX issue or not, but I wanted to run it by everyone. This only happens to me at home, never at work. I'm running WinXP Pro SP1 on both.

Occasionally, at least once a week, and for no reason I can see, my keyboard will start acting weird. I'll type a open paren, and get a close paren. I'll type a equal sign, and get a plus sign. Etc. No pattern to it that I can see, and when this happens, only the IDE is affected: Notepad, Word, IE, etc. all work just fine. If I exit and restart the IDE, that fixes it, until the next time.

I actually do some work in the anti-spyware business, so I'm up-to-speed on anti-virus, firewall, and spyware measures.

Anyone ever seen this?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  4:47:04 PM  Show Profile
now and then on my home machine (winXP pro, SP1) .NET 2002 will start using the american keyboard layout, even though i have a UK keyboard. when this happens it only effects the IDE, and i have to fiddle around in options and then restart the IDE to fix it.

this doesn't quite match your experience, but if you are getting a different keyboard codepage swap it might (long shot) explain the problem.

i have firewall, norton anti-virus and ad aware all running at home, so the machine should be clean.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  02:38:34 AM  Show Profile
i can reproduce this here on my win2k machine and the pattern is quiet easy for me.
i asume you are using "find symbols in workspace" or "open files in workspace" via Alt-Shift-S or Alt-Shift-O. if you miss your morning coffee it is possible that your fingers do not what you want and you hit
Alt-Shift instead, which means "swap keyboard codepage for current application".
so you don't have to restart your IDE, just hit Alt-Shift again
and all should work fine.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  6:03:30 PM  Show Profile
That's it! Thanks so much! That was driving me nuts!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000