"Error unpacking program, code 2"...??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MHolmes

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  09:13:34 AM  Show Profile
Since re-installing DevPartner and SoftICE on my box here at work, Visual Assist X fails to load VA_X.dll with the message "Error while unpacking program, code 2. Please report to author". What the heck is this? Please don't tell me this is some kind of anti-SoftICE bull. My company has legitmatley paid for VA X and if I can't use it on my dev box which has SoftICE, I am going to be extremely upset.

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  09:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Search these forums for SoftIce. Lots of previous messages.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

MHolmes

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  11:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Hmm, seems rediculous that I have to ask for a patch just to use software that we have paid for...but I will go ahead and do the dog and pony show so that I can use my dev box the way we paid for it to be used. I do understand Whole Tomato wanting to protect it's investment (heck, I work for a software company too, I know how piracy sucks)...but it would be nice if this could be disabled with proper license validation.

Edited by - MHolmes on Sep 13 2004 11:42:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dean Ashton
Ketchup Master

60 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  3:31:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, I don't understand what your problem is. A 5 minute look at the threads that come up as a result of following Stephen's suggestion shows that you just have to disable Softice, install VAX, then put in your licence key. Then you can re-enable Softice for good.

If you're running in trial mode (which is what VAX is in before you enter your key), then you can't run softice. It's hardly a dog & pony show..

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  4:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Mr. Language Person can't take it anymore. It's not a 'dog-and-pony show':

"According to the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, a 'dog and pony show' is 'an elaborate formal occasion or undertaking; (specifically) an official briefing or presentation, usually for public relations purposes.' That definition isn't exactly wrong, but it definitely misses the point of the phrase as most of us (including your colleague) use it. A 'dog and pony show' is an elaborate display or glitzy event designed to impress an audience and often, not coincidentally, intended to disguise a lack of substance."

http://www.word-detective.com/051600.html

So, what phrase *would* be appropriate? "Song-and-dance" comes to mind; anyone think of a better one?

:)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  4:53:43 PM  Show Profile
"a run around" comes to mind
it is certainly how i would describe it.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000