New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  11:12:03 AM  Show Profile

Hi,

Most probably you already now but, there are some powertoys you can download from http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/ide/ .

There are some good ideas there that might be good additions to VA. But my problem is I can not make them work as I expect them to work. I am sure you guys will come with a more complete implementation of these ideas.
    My favorites are
  • VSWindowManager (I doesnt work for switching between resource editor, and code editor)
  • Online Search (Couldnt make it work, but it is an easy feature to add by myself see http://www.codeproject.com/macro/googlemacro.asp)
  • VSTweak
  • VSEdit (not sure the last two could be VA features though)

My last wish though I know it is too much to ask for, but I will ask for it anyway.
is it possible to make some VS Ide dialog boxes sizeable (ie Project Settings, Configuration manager, some (if not all) wizards).

Orhun

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  1:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Beats the hell out of me how to download anything from there... spent about three mins, and gave up...

Go to Top of Page

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  1:36:14 PM  Show Profile
The download links are at the right side under the Original Powertoys title. When I click on the name or the download link, it works just fine.
I also noticed the link I posted is get wrapped (at least on my screen setup). Hope this will be better.
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/ide/

Orhun
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  1:55:19 PM  Show Profile
When I click on the download link for VSTweak, I get to this page:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/releases/viewuploads.aspx?id=b9330ea5-096d-45b7-8a5b-17450d7a0d5a

Okay, now what? The "Releases" link on the left, stupidly, takes me the same page. The link in the most-recent post takes me to a "Operational Troubleshooting in Progress" page. Typically for this site, there's no frigging date on the page, so how am I to know how old it is? I don't believe anyone is really aware or working on the problem: this is probably just the page they throw up when all else fails.

Bear in mind I have zero patience for this kind of foolishness. There should be a big red button that says "DOWNLOAD". I have better things to do than try to figure out their website. This kind of thing annoys me, because they're just wasting my time with a lousy, poorly thought out UI.

Or maybe it's just that I'm used to everything that has .NET attached to it sucking... color me "unimpressed".
Go to Top of Page

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  3:57:53 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you. That was the reason why I suggested VA should implement some of them (the ones that make sense), in the first place.
There are ideas there, which I think I will use constantly. But only if it is implemented correctly (ie. it works).

To complete the discussion:
When I click "VSTweak 1.1 Beta 2" link on the page you gave the link to, a java script dialog box pops up saying "blah blah ....... Press OK to start this download". And then ..., oh well. I am using Opera by the way.

Orhun
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  4:38:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by obirsoy
When I click "VSTweak 1.1 Beta 2" link on the page you gave the link to, a java script dialog box pops up saying "blah blah ....... Press OK to start this download".
Oh, I'm suppossed to click the header of the first topic in the discussion board, not the topic itself.

Oh, YEAH, that's intuitive.

Here's hoping the PowerToys are implemented better than the website...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  10:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Our current list of features to implement is already large. We're holding off from considering anything new at the moment. Well, unless it's really, really good -- and trivial to implement.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  03:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Is VSTweak really worth downloading?

I never understood the "Window Manager" Stuff, and I'm not sure if it really works as advertised in a localized (German) IDE.
Since I do have the same feelings about that website like Larry has, can anybody be so kind and point me to a "and here are the features explained" kind of site there? Would be appreciated... Just like "What does it really do?"

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  09:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Here ya go. I finally found the features list for VSTweak:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/ide/helpfiles/vstweak.aspx

There's not a single "feature" there that I can imagine myself using even once. Note that the License at the bottom of the page is longer than any of the feature descriptions!

Can the original poster please tell us what specifically he likes about these "powertoys"??
Go to Top of Page

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  09:55:06 AM  Show Profile

Although I really do not want to put a link to that web site but here they are

VSTweak:
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/ide/helpfiles/vstweak.aspx

VSWindowManager
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/ide/helpfiles/VSWindowManager.aspx

Online Search
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/ide/helpfiles/onlinesearch.aspx

For window manager:
I was expecting something like this. If i am editing a source file (.cpp, .h) I want to have VA View, Solution Exp., Class View etc. windows docked on the right, nothing on the left. But if I am editing resource file(.rc), I want the toolbox window docked on the left and only resource and properties window docked on the right. And I want this to switch automaticly between these two layouts (like what VS does when you start debuging). I was kind a hoping VSWindowManager will do this, it does it but not automaticly, And I do not know how they implemented it but the commands they added do not appear on the keyboard mappings so I can not add a shortcut to it. I also want to have add other layout settings for other extensions, or perhaps even layouts for specific files(ok that is pushing it, but if you do not ask for it, it is more likely that you won`t get it.)

For VSTweak:
There is nothing there I couldnt do, since almost all of them are in the registry. But I like the fact that I could edit MRU list(s), import/export keybindings, and edit autoexp.dat (it does not have it) in one simple application. "tweak" applications are not the applications you use constantly anyway.

For Online Search
Google is much more successful in searching msdn, then msdn itself. Do I need to explain more?

Orhun

Edited by - obirsoy on Sep 23 2004 10:04:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  06:59:25 AM  Show Profile
looking over the feature list, export and import keyboard bindings could be very useful. export the keyboard bindings before you have to reset your IDE settings during a VAX upgrade, and then re-import them after the upgrade.

other than that, nothing in the list sounds that relevant to me.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  5:07:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm using VSTweak myself because I don't like editing the registry just to make Visual Studio recognize another extension for XML files. I don't use any of the other PowerToys, though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000