Feature Requests
 Quotation marks.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnCz

19 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  09:43:30 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see automatic surrounding selected text with quotation marks feature that was lost in transition to VAX from earlier version.

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  12:13:44 PM  Show Profile
The last two times that people said they missed this feature (threads 1484, 2281), I asked why it was ever useful. But neither of them could give me a reason. The only answer I got was some very obscure situation of feline's.

Maybe you could explain why you ever have a bare word that you want to turn into a string. I still can't imagine any such situation, except for weird one-offs.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  4:57:53 PM  Show Profile
*proud grin*

seriously, what are you doing that you miss this?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

JohnCz

19 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  8:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes, for strings, string constants. What is wrong with it?
Why weird one-offs?
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  03:43:16 AM  Show Profile
I was missing this feature, too. Until I found out that I can have it by changing the way I type.

Usually, I was taking some words from the clipboard, pasting them, selecting them, and surrounding them with " by pressing ".

That still works, but the order is changed:
Now, I am taking some words from the clipboard, entering " at the place I want them to be pasted (VAX entering both "" and putting caret between them), pasting them and they are surrounded by "".

Same result, different approach...

Are you sure you really need "Surround with Quotation Marks"?

Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  04:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, that makes a bit more sense now. I had imagined a bare word being in the source to begin with. Of course, it wouldn't be syntactically correct then, and you're unlikely ever to have typed it like that. If the word is being pasted from another source, I can understand it. But Wannabee is correct — it's just as easy to write the quotes first.

I would be very unhappy to see this feature return, however. I find it much more common to overwrite a variable with a fixed string. You highlight the outgoing variable, start to type the string, and whoops, it does the wrong thing.

Actually, I have enough trouble replacing a variable with a bracketed expression — same problem. I wish I could turn off surround by parenthesis, or maybe all inline surrounds. I only ever use surround for whole-line changes with slash or brace. But I am wary of option-bloat too. The current compromise is good enough for me, even if it's not my personal ideal.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

rblondeau
Tomato Guru

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  12:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Didn't someone mention a while back about the ability to choose which symbol pairs could be used for "surround by". Something like adding a pair of symbols (leading and trailing) to a list which would then be used by VAX to do the surrounding on demand.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  11:23:38 PM  Show Profile
We have had a few requests to implement a set of options that determine which characters surround and which don't. Since we lean toward fewer rather than more options, we have done undertaken the task.

Though we acknowledge some value in surrounding with double quotes, we do feel the feature does not have the same value as surrounding with other characters.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000