Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bcraun

4 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  1:49:08 PM  Show Profile

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1246.0  
Licensed to:
  VA X: 
  VA.NET 7.1: xxxx@xxxxxx (1-user license)
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.44
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: ProFontWindows 11(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.81.4916.400
WindowsNT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

I am using the Visual C++ editor in VS.NET 2K3 and I continuously have this issue (among others) with VAX. I am not using any other add-ins.

After IDE is idle for at least 0.5 hour (on my machine, at least), all tooltips that normally appear when hovering over a recognized symbol appear empty. What happens is that the tooltip rectangle border is drawn and sized with the correct dimensions, but no contents appear in the transparent tooltip window. I have not found a way to get the tooltips to work outside of a complete uninstall/reinstall. Toggling the "Prefer default IntelliSense when available" to obtain the undecorated tooltip info from the MS IntelliSense provider will render the tooltips correctly. Toggling the option to have IntelliSense from VAX will eventually exhibit the problem described herein. Any others having this?

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  8:55:53 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried accepting one of the tips? Perhaps the information is there, just "invisible." My thinking is that it is possible that your color scheme is causing the tooltip to appear empty when in fact, it is just the same (or quite similar) foreground and background colors.

Note, that I am also making the assumption that you have a color scheme that is modified from one of the defaults.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

bcraun

4 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  07:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Nope. My color scheme, in this case, is default. Perhaps I didn't describe the tooltip behavior adequately. The tooltip rectangle is hollow so that I can see any text from any region beneath the rectangle. As I said previously, toggling the "Prefer default Intellisense when available" option will cause the MS IntelliSense provider to function correctly, thus rendering the tooltips with fidelity. So, I have to assume that this is, indeed, a VAX problem. I have attempted to remove the .ncb file from the solution, reparsing the files, and several other silly hacks in attempts to see if I can discover a workaround. Nothing has worked, thus far, notwithstanding a complete uninstall/reinstall exercise.

-bill
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  07:53:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bcraun

Font: ProFontWindows 11(Pixels)

Clutching at Straws:
Does this also happen with the standard (Courier New in 13 Pixels (Fontsize 10)) Font?

Does it happen when you disable "Enhanced Syntax Coloring" for ToolTips?

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Sep 28 2004 07:55:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

bcraun

4 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Font has nothing to do with it. Syntax colorizing chnages have no effect either.

After a bit of sleuthing with Spy++ with the MS IntelliSense provider versus VAX reveal yields some subtle differences. Among the clear differences are the manner in which the window messages are processed between the two products. Without source code for VAX, I can only speculate that it is related to a handful of messages, namely WM_PAINT and WM_TIMER messages. It doesn't appear that the tooltip windows are being redrawn under VAX control. The timers are firing at sporadic intervals and subsequent WM_PAINT messages appear to be dropped or filtered.

Also, my workaround of uninstall/reinstall no longer works. The tooltips have disappeared forever?

When will the next build be dropped (he said, full of hope)?
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  11:41:18 AM  Show Profile
The trouble with your anticipated solution is that there are hundreds (thousands?) of people using the version you have without problem.

Expecting VA X and VS to process tooltips in the same manner is a speculation on your part, and not a very safe one at that.

With your description of the appearence of the VA X tooltips, it does sound to me like a WM_PAINT kind of issue, but perhaps unrelated to VA X.

Still clutching at straws: Have you checked for a video driver update? Try turning off some display accelerations, to see if anything changes.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  12:28:36 PM  Show Profile
jpizzi is right (sadfully)...

There are thousands of people who use VAX without those problems (to be honest: it is the first time I ever hear of someone having such problems like you).

You say that these anomalies kick in after 30 Minutes, right?
Is there any application kicking in after 30 Minutes of Idle-Time, wasting GDI-Resources like mad (a screensaver maybe)?
Not drawing a ToolTip right sounds to me like "not having enough GDI-Resources"...

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  5:16:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bcraun

What happens is that the tooltip rectangle border is drawn and sized with the correct dimensions, but no contents appear in the transparent tooltip window.

*more grasping at straws*
thinking about the phrase "transparent tooltip window" are you running any utilities, or graphic driver addon's that do "fun" things to your windows?

i use windowsFX by stardock to produce translucent (as in see through) windows on some programs. since this can have an odd effect on VS .NET i have excluded it from this. still, if you have something like this going on, it might be interacting with VAX. from memory recent nVidia graphics drivers come with a program that can make windows translucent (alpha-blended).

as others have said, this seems to be unique to your system, so it is a good guess that you are running an unusual program, or combination of programs.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000