New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rainer

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2004 :  06:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I'm still programming in C# VS.Net 2003.
I'm writing in a class, which contains an inherited Property called CurrentValue.

I just wanted to post the following series of screenshots what happened in 1274 when I was typing "CurrentValue":

But now I see that V1275 has changed the suggestions.
The "C" is still the same.
"Cu" and the following ones don't display any suggestions.
When I hit Ctrl+Space after "C", I get a Listbox, where "CurrentValue" is selected.
When I hit Ctrl+Space after "Cv", CurrentValue is inserted.

It's a bit better.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2004 :  09:44:34 AM  Show Profile
It looks like VA doesn't think CurrentValue is an inherited property. Can you send([email protected]) a sample class that demonstrates the problem?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2004 :  09:59:48 AM  Show Profile
One observation, aside from the problem VA X does not think CurrentValue is an inherited property:

We see you have acronyms enabled. "Cu" is an obvious acronym for "CannotUnloadAppDomainException," hence it appears as a suggestion.

"Cur" is a not-so-obvious acronym for "Configuration." 'C' matches the leading C, and 'u' follows later in "Configuration." (Acronyms match upper case letters, then lower case, so you can select by additional typing, i.e. without the mouse.)

"Curr" is an acronym for "CharEnumerator" for the same reason. Leading 'C' followed by u, r and r.
Go to Top of Page

Rainer

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2004 :  5:43:40 PM  Show Profile
Shouldn't there be a little statistic check? If I never used such a thing like 'CannotUnload...' I hardly know of it and start typing an acronym. There are of course millions of possible names hidden in the APIs and frameworks. I think the normal use would be for some well known long Names like NotImplementedException or ListViewItem, not for names I never used in my project...

The simplest example does it for the CurrentValue item:

using System;

File One.cs
namespace TestNew
{
/// <summary>
/// Zusammenfassung f++r One.
/// </summary>
public class One
{
#region CurrentValue
string sCurrentValue;

public string CurrentValue
{
get { return sCurrentValue; }
set { sCurrentValue = value; }
}
#endregion
}
}

File Two.cs
using System;

namespace TestNew
{
/// <summary>
/// Zusammenfassung f++r Two.
/// </summary>
public class Two : One
{
public Two()
{
C|
}
}
}

Edited by - Rainer on Oct 14 2004 5:44:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  3:50:55 PM  Show Profile
odd. using .NET 2003 and VAX 1274 i have just created a new cs file and opened it in a C# console application. basically this is the auto-generated C# console application.

pasting in your example, when i retype the line in Two::Two() i get:

do you get this problem in the basic C# console application? if not, it suggests there is something about the surrounding project.

the other possibility is that line:
File One.cs

there is no file with that name in my project, and the actual file is called "TestFile1.cs"

if that is some form of include line... ? i am not sure what it is doing, as you can probably tell

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Rainer

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  5:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

the lines "File One.cs" and "File Two.cs" don't belong to the source, but show you in what files to paste the code. It has to be *two different files*, and I have a Window-Application, not console.

BTW: Did you notice that the symbol "class" is illegal within a function body?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2004 :  4:46:58 PM  Show Profile
things are making a bit more sense now

with the files, i did include the line "using System;" at the top of "File One.cs", since i presume this is supposed to be there.

i have added these two files, using the file names you have provided, to my existing C# console application. i closed the IDE and reopened it just to give it a chance, and then retyped the line in class two. when i get to "Cu" i am getting the suggestion "CurrentValue"

so next i created a new C# windows application. the only thing i have done to this application is to add these two files.

next i retyped the line in class Two::Two and i am getting:

followed by:

i have tried fiddling with various VAX settings, but they don't have any effect on the suggestions i am getting.

among others i tried turing on:
options -> text editor -> listboxes -> get content from default intellisense

still no difference. do you have the time to create a new C# windows application and try this test? it would be very interesting if it goes wrong on your machine on such a project, given it works here.

as for the keyword "class" not being valid in a C# function, i don't really know any C# at all, but if you turn off VAX then the IDE wont suggest class, which confirms this.

case=377

Go to Top of Page

Rainer

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2004 :  02:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey, have you bewitched my PC ???

I did the following:
1) Opened VS without a project, Goto VAX->Performance, clicked on "Rebuild" and "Clear", and closed IDE again.
2) Opened IDE, created a new c# window project, added One.cs and Two.cs, and then

Weird...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2004 :  5:43:12 PM  Show Profile
no, i only bewitch the PC's of people i really dislike

i agree, very weird. perhaps the VAX cache got messed up somehow? lets hope this stays fixed

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000