Installer should find existing directory
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  04:38:48 AM  Show Profile
I have no new info on the uninstaller issue I reported earlier because I've taken to install over the old version. But that made me notice another issue with the installer.

You see, I don't put VAX in the default directory but in C:\\Binaries\\Visual Assist X. Now when I install a new version while an old one is already present, it should of course go in the same directory.

However, the installer always prompts me to install in C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X. It would be nice to have the installer look up the current installation path in the registry instead.

studoot

35 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  08:56:19 AM  Show Profile
I can confirm this with build 1277 - IIRC, the installer did used to find alternate install locations correctly.

Stuart Dootson
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  4:24:25 PM  Show Profile
i had to uninstall VAX to reproduce this *stressed expression* the sacrifices i make!

case=392

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  03:06:07 AM  Show Profile
Could make another sacrifice right away, please, now that you have VAX in a non-standard location?

I've just tried uninstalling again, for a change. This is after a cold boot, neither Visual Studio nor Visual Assist have run yet.

Lo and behold, I once again got the "cannot delete files" messages I posted about earlier. This time I've taken a series of screenshots:

Here VAX tells me about files that were created after the installation. I click "Delete All" on this dialog.

First problem: Misc/tmp cannot be deleted. Retrying just keeps popping up this same dialog. I have to click "No" to continue.

Second problem: Templates/Saved cannot be deleted. Retrying does not work, as before.

However, once I quit the installer, I can easily delete both directories by hand. There are indeed files in there but they are neither marked read-only nor opened by another process.

I'm posting this here because the Whole Tomato guys were unable to reproduce this bug. Possibly this is also related to installing in a non-default location?

Go to Top of Page

rblondeau
Tomato Guru

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  1:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried using the Process Explorer (www.sysinternals.com/) to see if VAX is actually the one that still has a hook on any of those files? That could explain why VAX itself could not delete them, and then once you finished the uninstall, that you were able to delete the files manually.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  6:01:02 PM  Show Profile
since you asked so nicely , i have just tried this myself. VAX was installed to C:\\binaries. i rebooted the machine, and after the reboot the first thing i did was uninstall VAX.

i got the first screen shot, and like you i selected to delete all files, and that was it. the uninstall finished without any problems, and there were no error messages.

after the install i went and checked, and even the c:\\binaries directory had been deleted! this is actually correct, since the directory was created when i installed VAX.

rblondeau, after a reboot i wouldn't expect VAX to be running. still, it would be interesting to know which process had a lock / hook on those files. Chris, have you enabled encryption, compression, or any other "odd" features on this drive? what about an anti virus program?

this may well be specific to your machine, at least so far, so i am wondering what is so different about your computer.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  03:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Looking at processes and file locks is a good idea... I have the SysInternals tools but forgot to use them this time. I'll try to think of them next time I uninstall VAX.

VAX itself can't possibly be running after a reboot. I don't have encryption or compression enabled anywhere on my filesystem (except where XP uses these features by default), and I don't have any virus scanners or the like running in the background either. Can't imagine who would lock C:\\Binaries on my machine.

The OS is Windows XP Pro from the MSDN distribution. I'm logged in with admin privileges. If there's anything odd about this system I haven't noticed yet.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  2:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Chris, if anything i should have more problems than you, not less. i have anti-virus running, various other tools and utilities running, etc.

the only obvious difference so far is i log in as the administrator on this machine, since i never bother to make any user accounts. i am the only person who uses the machine, so why bother?

if you are able to log in as administrator it would be interesting to see if it made a difference.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  03:04:59 AM  Show Profile
No, I'm already logged in as administrator as well, so there's no difference in that regard either. Strange...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000