New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  10:02:57 PM  Show Profile
I thought the title might draw your attention.
I have added a new cpp file to a class and when I am editing the new file and click the h/cpp button it just gives me an open dialog.
This is not the only class that has more than one cpp file and this is the first time I have ever encountered this problem.
Here is my config.

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1246.0
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2005.04.12
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.44
MSDev.exe version 6.0.8168.2
Devshl.dll version 6.0.8168.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.8168.0
Font: Verdana 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.81.4916.400
WindowsNT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4
Single processor

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\MATROX IMAGING\\MIL\\INCLUDE;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\SRC;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;

Other Includes:

I can understand how if I were in the h file that you wouldn't know which cpp file to go to, but there is only one h file for the class.
The wizard bar knows the class and if I click on the down arrow to the right of the magic wand and select go to class definition it takes me there.

I can find absolutely nothing unusual about this file.
Has anybody else seen this and if so is it fixed in one of the betas?
Thanks

Ken

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  11:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Build 1278 certainly has Goto and OpenOpposite commands that are better at finding implementations.

See also:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3129
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2004 :  1:49:05 PM  Show Profile
I installed 1278 and it still fails on this one file.
I did however think of one thing that is unique about this file. The function in this file used to belong to another class. I salvaged the file and changed the class that the one function in it belongs to. Is there something stuck away in memory that remembers that this file used to be in another class and therefore can't figure out where to send me when I click on the h/cpp button?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2004 :  9:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Try Rebuild on the Performance tab of our options dialog.
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  12:27:40 PM  Show Profile
I tried the Rebuild and that didn't fix it. In fact it makes it fail on all files. So I also tried the clear tab as well and still all files fail to go to the .h file from the .cpp file. I had come to depend on that tab because it kept me from having to go to the top of the file and selecting the .h file I wanted to open.
Any other ideas?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  11:32:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
... click the h/cpp button it just gives me an open dialog.

We missed this in your original post. VA X shouldn't open an open dialog, even if it does not know the location of your header or cpp.

OpenOpposite is not a complex command. VA X searches the current directory, then the project, for the matching file. Only files names are searched, i.e. foo.h from foo.cpp. The content of the files is immaterial.

Does the h/cpp button work for other files? If not, can you install the latest build of VA X, preferably our latest beta, and accept a new VC++ 6.0 toolbar during install?
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  2:29:40 PM  Show Profile
It seems to work on files that have a one to one relationship between the .h and the .cpp but not on files that have several .cpp files for one .h file.
What is the latest beta? I'm using 1278 but I didn't accept any new toolbars when I installed it.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  11:10:47 AM  Show Profile
the latest build is 1282, which is only available in the private beta forum. theoretically i have the ability to add you to this forum, but i cannot find the button to do so *puzzled*

i am not sure if 1278 is new enough for what support want, or if 1282 is better.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  3:51:24 PM  Show Profile
I just installed 1283 (which I hope is newer than 1282) and the problem persists. Should this be moved to the public beta forum?
Does nobody else have this problem?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  2:59:18 PM  Show Profile
deep inside our code at work there is a .h / .cpp pair where alt_o only works in one direction. occasionally i run into this problem, but since i dont normally look at this code, i am ignoring the problem. this is with .NET 2003

so you are not alone in having odd problems with this feature. it may have something to do with the file names, and file locations you are using in this case.

could you post the details of all the involved files? i can then set up the same file names and relative locations, and see what happens for me.

and yes, 1283 is newer than 1282. the VAX version numbers always go up for newer versions.

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  11:07:36 AM  Show Profile
The class is Sleeve and is in the file sleeve.h
Most of the implementation is in sleeve.cpp but one function, PlotSleeve is in plotsleeve.cpp.
The h/cpp works from sleeve.cpp to sleeve.h but does not work from plotsleeve.cpp. As even I expect, the h/cpp from sleeve.h takes me to sleeve.cpp. All of the files are in the same folder. I'm using VS C++ 6.0
I am almost positive that this used to work, but please don't ask me what I changed. Is this enough detail?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  11:31:49 AM  Show Profile
Did this really used to work? I'm surprised.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  2:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes. I never got an open dialog box before.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  4:54:52 PM  Show Profile
We do not believe the functionality you want was ever provided by the h/cpp command, i.e. OpenOpposite. This feature has always worked on file names, nothing else.

We're baffled by the "open dialog" box. We don't know why it appears. Does it for anyone else with a non-matching h/cpp pair?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  5:32:52 PM  Show Profile
using VC6 (with no service pack) and VAX 1283 i also get the "open file" dialog when pressing alt_o in "plotsleeve.cpp"

quote:
Originally posted by Not yet as old as dirt

Is this enough detail?

it was ideal, since i was able to produce the same setup, and reproduce without any problems. alt_o producing the open dialog:

case=437

in this case, all of the functions in plotsleeve.cpp are for the same class. so VAX could try to detect this, and then jump to this class on alt_o.

case=438

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000