New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  02:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi. There is bug which isn't fixed for a long time - when you have opened two (or more) files into IDE, go to the first one, select some part of text, and then, after switching to second file, with a high probability when you will start to edit this file, the first file (where the selection is) will be changed!

IAF

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  9:10:30 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps you could give more detail? I use VS constantly, with VA installed. I nearly always have more than one file opened in different windows. I have not noticed the problem as you describe it.

One thing: are you saying that the text in the first file (which had something highlighted) is changed, or just that the selection extents are changed/lost?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  02:46:00 AM  Show Profile
One small example which can explain a bit more: let we have opened files: .h file will class declaration, and .cpp file with implementation (I'm using tabbed interface; VS.NET 2003). Now we going to .h file, select some function, press Ctrl+C, then switch to .cpp file, insert copied line into this file, and now very offten when I start typing into .cpp file, this typing appears into .h file (file is modified) (and in most cases, it doesn't switch window).

IAF
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  04:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like 2843. I haven't seen it for a long time though — are you seeing it in the latest version?

There is a similar bug about jumping around within one file. I don't know whether it's actually the same bug or not, but that still seems to get mentioned occasionally, though much less often than it did some weeks ago.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  04:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, sorry, I just realised that 2843 is in the Private Beta forum. But I don't think there's any additional information there.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  04:43:13 AM  Show Profile
No problem, I have just added Ivan to the private"ers"

He is now able to watch the private Forum.

Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  05:36:37 AM  Show Profile
WannabeeDeveloper, thanks for adding me to privaters

I'm using latest build of VAX (1284), and as I remember this trouble is here from at least build 1212, when I started using VAX.
Similar trouble with jumpund through the file(s) very offten occurs immediatelly after debuging session.

IAF
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  2:56:32 PM  Show Profile
if you are often highlighting a single line to copy between files then you can press CTRL_C without anything highlighted to copy the current line.

this might help to work around at least some of the problem, and save you a small amount of typing as well

do you have any other plugin's installed? anything else special or odd about your machine?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  5:15:05 PM  Show Profile
How do you "switch to .cpp file?"

Does editing return to your new window automatically, or do you need to do something to make it happen?
Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  02:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Nothing special about my machine (XP SP2, 1Gb RAM, PIV 2.6GHz; the rest isn't important, I think), but maybe used portrait mode can cause this?

about method of switching between files: I'm clicking on corresponding tab header, or using "Open &Corresponding .h or .cpp" button on toolbar.

IAF
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000