Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  11:20:38 AM  Show Profile
http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1283.exe

Fixes described at:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.html

Reset of VS.NET not required. No changes to code templates.

Edited by - support on Nov 08 2004 1:42:53 PM

ghbyrkit

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2004 :  07:53:20 AM  Show Profile
I downloaded and installed 1283. Upon launch, it claimed (FALSELY) that I was running Visual Studio of some kind and that I needed to close it.

Well, I had not launched either VS6 or VS2003 since starting the computer a day or so ago, so this message is absolutely WRONG!

I clicked on 'retry' in case it was an anomoly. The message persisted, so I clicked on 'ignore' and proceeded.

Please fix this obvious problem before you promote the release candidate!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2004 :  09:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Since VA X supports many different versions of the IDE, our installer simply looks for an application with "Microsoft Visual" in the title. Do you have any other applications running with this in the title?

Not saying this is the case for you, but sometimes an instance of the IDE may fail to close all the way. Opening up the task manager, they will see a stray MsDev.exe or DevEnv.exe in the "Process" tab.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2004 :  10:08:15 AM  Show Profile
I thought the message also appeared if Excel is running. See threads 2630 and 1171, for example.

The message is misleading, and should probably be changed, although it's much less important than ghbyrkit is making it out to be.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2004 :  10:22:24 AM  Show Profile
We suspect some variant of "Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime" (??) makes VA X complain. If someone gets the error and tells us more about what's running, we can code around the problem.

We send extra gratitude to the contributor.
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2004 :  11:17:40 PM  Show Profile
I generally play a game of FreeCell between closing VS6 and installing the next VAX or I get that message. I probably don't have to wait quite that long, but I can't install immediately.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

ghbyrkit

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2004 :  08:06:26 AM  Show Profile
OK, more info.

It turned out that there was a process that was trying to report an error (which it showed on shutdown). This apparently had some of the VS stuff involved, just in case I chose to 'debug' the error.

So there probably was an MSDEV.exe instance or similar, but I just didn't see it when I did my process search in TaskManager.

I'll keep my eyes open in case I observe similar in the future and report as requested.

At least there is a legitimate explanation in this case, I think.
Go to Top of Page

ghbyrkit

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2004 :  6:27:24 PM  Show Profile
In retrospect, I wouldn't have had my problem (a misperception somewhat on my part) if the software provided a list of the processes that were causing the problem. That would aide in their being found and terminated.

It would also aide greatly in cases such as mine when there was not an overt launching of Visual Studio of any version.

It is a problem any time a message appears for a non-obvious reason, and good software avoids such problems, to respond to Stephen as to its relative importance.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  2:48:39 PM  Show Profile
a good point. for reference, on my work machine MS Excel 2000 with my main information spreadsheet loaded is always detected as the IDE by the VAX installer. however on my home machine MS Excel 2000 with a simple spreadsheet loaded is not detected as the IDE.

case=428

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ghbyrkit

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2004 :  2:55:56 PM  Show Profile
So when you run Excel at work, you're probably using some script code in that spreadsheet, which gets Visual Basic stuff loaded, thus detected? And that doesn't happen at home because of no scripting in the spreadsheet/workbook?

I think I recall some other programs which report the programs/processes that they find offensive. It may actually be something that Microsoft did!?!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000