Crash when using VAX with MSVC6 on Win98SE
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  1:14:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm running MSVC6 (SP5) on Win98SE on my laptop. VA6 works just fine with it, but when I install VAX (any build I've tried, including betas for 10.1) everything crashes.

"Everything"? Everything except MSVC6 itself. Windows Explorer crashes when I open the start menu. Notepad crashes, MS Paint crashes, Mozilla Firefox crashes, Borland Delphi crashes. It's always an access violation in "<unknown>". Even my own programs crash when I run them from the VC IDE (last identifiable symbol in the callstack is InitCommonControls).

I can't open the VAX options menu (clicking the button does nothing).

This happens the moment VAX loads, I couldn't even open Notepad to open the text file with my registration key when presented with the "Enter key" dialog.

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  1:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Ahem...

System Requirements for VAX

quote:

Generally speaking, Visual Assist X works with any operating system that runs your IDE with the exception of Microsoft Windows 98. You must use a previous version of Visual Assist if you run Microsoft Windows 98.

Go to Top of Page

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  1:39:01 PM  Show Profile
How unfortunate, I will have to "upgrade" my laptop to WinME, then. VAX seems to work fine on that.

It's odd that VAX itself seems to work (although the suggestion listboxes are empty) but everything else crashes.

Might I suggest an OS version check in the installer?
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  1:49:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kippesoep

How unfortunate, I will have to "upgrade" my laptop to WinME, then. VAX seems to work fine on that.

Where did you get that from?

I'll quote the System Requirements about Operating Systems and you point me to where Windows ME appears, okay?
Here we go...
quote:

Operating Systems
Generally speaking, Visual Assist X works with any operating system that runs your IDE with the exception of Microsoft Windows 98. You must use a previous version of Visual Assist if you run Microsoft Windows 98.

Windows XP Server 2003
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Server
Windows NT 4.0

Go to Top of Page

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  2:16:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by WannabeeDeveloper
Where did you get that from?

From personal experience. I have WinME on one of my other computers and it works fine on that.

quote:

Operating Systems

This would indicate it works on WinME, which it does (and even Win95, although I'm not masochistic enough to try that). It excludes only Win98.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  3:54:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kippesoep

This would indicate it works on WinME, which it does (and even Win95, although I'm not masochistic enough to try that). It excludes only Win98.

I doubt it, but you're welcome to find out...

Go to Top of Page

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  4:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Any idea why it behaves like this? I can understand a program not working because of depending on new API functions etc. It is rather weird that the program works for the most part but makes the rest of the system completely and utterly unstable.

I don't suppose support for Win98 will be added, though it would make me very happy, but a version check and warning in the installer would be nice...
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2004 :  4:43:09 PM  Show Profile
I second that!

case=430

Go to Top of Page

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  11:08:00 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so updating my laptop to WinME doesn't do the trick. I wonder why it does work on the desktop computer that runs WinME.

I still think it's rather odd that VAX manages to destroy any program that uses COMCTL32.DLL
Go to Top of Page

peterchen
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  02:05:10 AM  Show Profile
Does the other application crash when you hover a few seconds over a button or similar?

There is a known bug in the MFC debug libraries, that kills all other programs as soon as they try to display a tooltip. I don't think WT releases MFC debug builds - but the problem might be related.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000