Annoying operations during update
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baga
Tomato Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  1:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Today i installed new version (1284) and this happened again - three times i had to choose if i want to update some info - templates and toolbars/keys in VS.6 and VS.NET

Why do i have to do this? Not that it is hard - but sure it is annoying. I mean, you know when you changed something, right? So, installer can detect installed version of VA, and it should ask me if i want to get new say, templates, only if they DID change since version i have installed. If they were not changed on VA's side, it should not touch them at all.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2004 :  6:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Our installer prompts for a new toolbar in VC++ 6.0 -- it cannot tell if you current toolbar is working, or if was renamed, or if its buttons were moved elsewhere.

Our installer prompts for a reset of vS.NET for a number of reasons, including the fact the documentation for VSIP integration requires it. (Those from long ago are thrilled we get around the requirement to make this an option.)

In all but the rarest of circumstances, our installer prompts for templates if existing ones are not identical to those in the installer.

All this said, we appreciate your understanding.
Go to Top of Page

Baga
Tomato Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  10:58:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
it cannot tell if you current toolbar is working, or if was renamed, or if its buttons were moved elsewhere.
My point exactly - whatever happened to toolbar (ranamed, buttons moved, etc.) was done by me and for a reason. And, because new toolbar/templates/etc. is most often exactly the same as old, I will have to do all those customizations again!

It looks like you prompt for update every time current toolbar/templates/etc. do not match what you have in the installer. Instead you should check current installer version against previous installer version.

And somewhere in settings there should be a button to restore defaults. Actually, once i lost toolbar somehow, and i spent 15 min looking for that button (I called VAssistXOptions from macro). It was functionality of some other AddIn (IncrediBuild?). In the end i created my own toolbar with buttons i wanted.

Overall - not a big deal... i just thought that what i want is actually easier for you - you just check what version you are installing over, and if toolbar/templates/etc. didn't change since, leave it alone...
Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  12:39:06 AM  Show Profile
i'm with Baga,

i think support didn't understood Baga's post, and for all of us installing every new Beta/Private Beta it would very helpfull.
Because it is so easy to press 'OK' (unwanted) by using te default selection.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000