Technical Support
 hotkey annoyance
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jkohn

18 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  1:50:11 PM  Show Profile
One thing I've found extremely annoying is that many of the hotkeys do not work if I have caps lock on. Apparently you're doing your own hotkey processing and looking at the characters instead of the actual key states, and differentiating between "alt-g" and "alt-G" which doesn't make much sense to me. Also hotkey assignments for VA don't show up in the IDE's keyboard shortcut options dialog.

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  1:59:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jkohn

Also hotkey assignments for VA don't show up in the IDE's keyboard shortcut options dialog.

Excuuuuuuuuuuse me?

Go to Top of Page

jkohn

18 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  2:34:21 PM  Show Profile

You're excused. :P

Even though the assignment doesn't show up, alt+g works as long as caps lock isn't on. That's why it looks to me like VA is doing it's own hotkey handling, I've never seen this caps-lock behavior with non-VA hotkeys. BTW I can repro this on multiple machines.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  3:24:09 PM  Show Profile
It's a Visual Studio "Bug":
As long as you have the "Default" keyboard-mapping-scheme, all shortcuts will be listed.
But, since you have a scheme named "Jeff", it doesn't show the keyboard-bindings.

They work okay, they just don't show up in the VS options...

I think CAPS-LOCK triggers "Shift pressed" to the IDE, I guess that this behaviour is common through all MS Applications (not sure, though)? What happens when you press F7 (to compile) while CAPSLOCK is down? Does that work?

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Nov 10 2004 3:26:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

memebogus

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  3:37:57 PM  Show Profile
The behavior of F7 (compile) is not affected by the CapsLock.

As a further Microsoft currectness test, I ran Word 2003 and hit Ctrl-F (Find and Replace). It had the same effect with caps lock on and with it off. That is, it did not perform the Ctrl-Shift-F function of allowing font selection.
Go to Top of Page

jkohn

18 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  3:52:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
It's a Visual Studio "Bug":
As long as you have the "Default" keyboard-mapping-scheme, all shortcuts will be listed.
But, since you have a scheme named "Jeff", it doesn't show the keyboard-bindings.
Wouldn't be so sure about that, shortcuts for other commands show up, it appears to just be the VA commands.

quote:
I think CAPS-LOCK triggers "Shift pressed" to the IDE, I guess that this behaviour is common through all MS Applications (not sure, though)? What happens when you press F7 (to compile) while CAPSLOCK is down? Does that work?
caps-lock doesn't affect any of the standard MSDEV hotkeys, and frankly I've never seen an application where it did. Again, as far as I can tell it's just a VA thing.
Go to Top of Page

memebogus

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  4:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Agreed. I don't know how the integration works, and I'd assumed that VS would handle keypress mapping stuff. If it doesn't, then I'll go out on a limb and guess that the problem likely lies in the use of the ascii code of the key pressed rather than the virtual key code. Combining the virtual key code with the GetKeyState(VK_SHIFT) would give the desired result.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  4:47:24 PM  Show Profile
jkohn, which IDE and version of VAX are you using?

using C++, .NET 2003 and VAX 1283 alt_o and alt_g both work for me with cap's lock on or off.

i have also tried alt_shift_o and alt_shift_s, and again cap's lock has no effect.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

hwatson

23 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  11:10:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm also using VC++ .NET 2003 with VAX 1283, but I get different behavior based on the shift/caps state. feline - since you mentioned 'o' and 'g', here's the behavior I have:

Alt-g performs goto
Alt-G does nothing
Alt-o switches between .h/.cpp
Alt-O displays the Open File in Workspace dialog

Shift/caps toggle the behavior between the lower case and capitalized commands, and as with normal typing, shift and caps at the same time cancel each other out and results in the lower case behavior. As far as I can remember, it's always been this way. I've never given it much thought - just assumed that's how it was supposed to work.

I'm using a personalized keyboard mapping scheme, but it's mostly the VC++ 6.0 scheme with a couple changes. I don't have anything else mapped to the aforementioned shortcuts.

I don't know if that helps clarify anything, or just muddles it further. If I can give you any other info, let me know.
Go to Top of Page

jkohn

18 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  11:15:23 PM  Show Profile
sounds like hwatson is seeing the same thing as me, I also encountered the Alt+0 behavior in fact that's how I finally figured out what was going on.

I wonder if this has anything to do with whether or not we allow VA to reset the toolbars/hotkeys at the end of install. (I always say no unless the release notes say it's required).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  3:19:10 PM  Show Profile
*deeply puzzled*
just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, i have just tried the following:

caps lock off, no shift key, alt + o = swap between cpp and .h
caps lock on, no shift key, alt + o = swap between cpp and .h

caps lock off, with shift key, alt + o = OFIW dialog
caps lock on, with shift key, alt + o = OFIW dialog

caps lock off, no shift key, alt + g = jump to class definition
caps lock on, no shift key, alt + g = jump to class definition

caps lock off, with shift key, alt + g = beep from my computer, and no jump
caps lock on, with shift key, alt + g = jump to class definition

as before, this is .NET 2003 with VAX 1283. the machine is winXP pro SP2

i have all of the disability helper functions turned off. i don't know much about them, but i know they can do things like making the computer think the shift key is held down when it isn't, so make typing easier.

i have my own custom keyboard mapping in the IDE, but i have not mapped anything to alt_g or alt_o. my keyboard scheme is based on the default .NET 2003 scheme.

do either of you have any other plugin's installed? is this behaviour limited to the IDE for both of you? memebogus said it didn't happen to him in Word 2003.

Go to Top of Page

hwatson

23 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  6:41:39 PM  Show Profile
feline - Yes, based on your example, we are talking about the same thing.

I did some tests, and it appears the problem is related to the keyboard scheme. If I use the default keyboard scheme, or a custom one based on the default scheme, the shortcuts work as you described. Any other built-in keyboard scheme, or custom ones based on them, results in the behavior I described.

I have some other plugins installed, but I also tried it with a copy of Visual Studio that did not have other plugins installed. The behavior was always dependent on the keyboard scheme, regardless of what other plugins were or weren't installed.

Edit:
And like the screenshots above, the shortcuts only appear in the Options dialog when using a default-based keyboard scheme.

Edited by - hwatson on Nov 12 2004 6:45:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2004 :  5:41:42 PM  Show Profile
it sounds as if this is an IDE bug, and not a VAX bug, which is at least something. true, this doesnt really help much, but it does mean that VAX isnt causing problems with the shortcuts, which would have been rather bad.

with regard to seeing the VAX shortcuts, if i create a new keyboard profile based on "Visual C++ 6" and then assign a keyboard shortcut to VAssistX.FindNextbyContext then this shortcut is displayed just fine.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000