Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I have a variable called "variableGroupInternalId" (I like long names, that's one of the reasons why I can't miss Visual Assist). When I type "variabl", ""variablegii" or "vii", Visual Assist recommends indeed "variableGroupInternalId".

But if you don't remember the first part of the word, and type "InternalId", it will not suggest "variableGroupInternalId".
It seems to depend on the first character. If the first character is correct, it will suggest the right word. If the first character is wrong it will never suggest this word. I can imagine that this is by design, and that trying to change this will create a vast number of different matches, but still: can you please consider searching in all words?

If it helps, I'm willing to type an special character in front of the name, if I want to search in all words. For instance: "@internalid" could give "variableGroupInternalId".

Do you think this is possible within Visual Assist? Thank you very much...

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  5:24:33 PM  Show Profile
i have noticed a similar thing myself with suggestion listboxes (the ones with question marks). however as soon as i press ctrl_space i tend to get the correct suggestion in a completion listbox.

this will probably work for you as well

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  02:20:34 AM  Show Profile
I remember having a discussion with one of the internals of WT about that issue.
I was asking for the same like you, Patrick...

Imagine you want to query a button and do not know the right name for the function, all you remember is that the function has "Button" in it (I'm talking about IsDlgButtonChecked). Wouldn't it be great to just enter "Button" as a acronym and VAX would offer me every Function that has Button somewhere in it?

Well, for this examples it works when you type in 'IButton' (then you get the suggestion for IsDlgButtonChecked)...

I wasn't able to convince him that I'd prefer my sugested behaviour...

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Nov 23 2004 02:24:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  02:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello feline, WannabeeDeveloper and all others,

feline, that is a good idea. I've use CTRL+SPACE, but not in that way...
I have tried CTRL+SPACE and then typed "groupinternalid". All the completion listbox (the one without the questioned tomatoes) suggested, were words beginning with a 'g' (and when trying "internalid" they all began with an 'i').

WannabeeDeveloper, maybe this may convince him/her:
If I had a variable "pVariableGroupInternalId", I would easily forget about the first character ('p') and only type "VariableGroupInternalId". Then Visual Assist wouldn't suggest nor complete anything. (And that while "VariableGroupInternalId" and "pVariableGroupInternalId" resemble a lot, in my humble opinion.)

feline and WannabeeDeveloper, thank you kindly for your reactions.

I hope the fine team of Whole Tomato will look into this (although I know it won't be as easy as it looks at first sight). I would appreciate it.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Yes, I've reached the 300 with this one! Maybe today I will feel more...hmmm..."still the same"?

Edited by - PatLuja on Nov 23 2004 02:46:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  12:24:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by patluja

Yes, I've reached the 300 with this one! Maybe today I will feel more...hmmm..."still the same"?

Well, what can I say... it will not change with 500 or 1000 either
Go to Top of Page

Qwertie

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2004 :  1:49:33 PM  Show Profile
I agree patluja.

There is one potential problem in that such suggestions are "lower quality" than suggestions with a matching first word. For example, if I type
Rec
then the best suggestions are things that start with Rec, like RECT and Rectangle... and incidently, Rectangle is a better suggestion than RECT because the case matches.

A potential problem if you show a suggestion listbox with other possibilities like, oh I don't know, SoundRecord or something--is that if there are lots of possibilities, then the "good" suggestions are crowded out by the "worse" suggestions.

This is a lot like the problem of getting suggestions from base classes when suggestions in the current class are available, and the same solution can be used.

I think VA should find and display these lower-quality suggestions, but if higher-quality ones are available it should display those at the top. And/or, a lighter-colored font could be used to indicate how "good" a suggestion is thought to be: black for the best, dark gray and medium gray for worse ones.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000