Refactor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blas

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  06:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Hello,
I think it would be a great improve in visual assist to add some "refactor" tools (example: rename method or member would be great)

Thank you,
Blas.

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  09:13:38 AM  Show Profile
There are other tools to do this. Personally, I would prefer to see VA concentrate on what it's best at.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  09:27:00 AM  Show Profile
VA should concentrate on what it's best at... In my eyes this is providing programmers with an easier and more efficient way of programming. Therefore this suggestion should be taken somewhat more seriously because I also think this will add a great deal of efficiency to the programmer.

Also think of i.e. altering a class member from instance to pointer, where you need to replace all m_instance.Function() to m_pInstance->Function() etc.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  09:44:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mspa

VA should concentrate on what it's best at... In my eyes this is providing programmers with an easier and more efficient way of programming.
I would argue that this is way too broad a mission statement: what wouldn't come under that description? This is the 'Hey - why don't we have a space station?' school of product design. That way madness lies.

I would rather VA stick to the knitting, and let someone else do refactoring. Or they could develop a separate add-on for refactoring.
Go to Top of Page

Blas

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  09:46:49 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you regarding the more sofisticated refactorings, but in my opinion it wouldn't be necessary to buy a new tool for changing a method or class name.
Of course this is only my opinion...

Edited by - Blas on Nov 23 2004 09:54:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Ah, but think about what a tool would have to know to *guarantee* that it changed the *correct* occurances of MyClass::MyFunction( ), including virtual functions, multiple inheritance, 'hidden' functions, functions of the same name in other classes, etc. It would just about have to be a compiler in itself.

Certainly, it would be an order of magnitude more intelligent than VAX is now, because VAX doesn't have to understand every single line of code in order to function properly. My position is that I don't want VAX compilicated to that extreme degree with a frankly totally unrelated (albeit nifty) feature.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  12:20:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mspa

Also think of i.e. altering a class member from instance to pointer, where you need to replace all m_instance.Function() to m_pInstance->Function() etc.

Thats something VAX always has troubles with. Change the definition from typename* varname to typename& varname and try to use varname. It takes ages until VAX realizes that the type has changed and the .-> auto correction stops inserting the wrong operator. Usually I save, close and reopen the file when I need to make this change. [sorry for ranting, but there are some pre-historic bugs that drive me still crazy]
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  4:58:08 PM  Show Profile
before now support have said they are not going to add refactoring to VAX, since some refactoring support is part of .NET 2005. instead the idea is that VAX will enhance what the IDE does.

i suspect this will only target C#, although refactoring for C++ would be nice

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000