Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatPat

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2004 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile
Typical scenario
Using a Workspace with 2 Projects.
Project1 a DLL
Project2 a GUI app that uses the Project1 DLL

Project1 is finished and partially tested before Project2 starts.
But while developing Project2 ALWAYS I have to change something or fix a bug on Project1.

I'd like VisualX extending the native C++ "Protection and Encapsulation" to the coding phase.
Many times when I was going back to Project1 to fix a bug I've made another one just for typing something wrong in the wrong place
probably while I was browsing trying to locate the right spot in the file.

My idea is being able to select part of a source file (*.cpp, *.h etc) and convert that area to READ ONLY
after that, the background color of that area should change to indicate that that area is READ ONLY and obviously the editing of that
area shouldn't be allowed.

in this way I'm completely sure that no accidental change can be made to the protected areas.
If I need to fix something in a protected area should be as easy as selecting that particular area and convert it back to READ/WRITE.
Also this helps to work in a let say new routine in a file that contains others that were working and tested before, if a problem occurs I'd just be completely focused in the unprotected area as the first try.

I think the file lock feature could be implemented with a file keeping record dynamically of the locked areas in a Project or Workspace basis.
I'm not an expert, please forgive me if this is already invented and I didn't know it

Thanks
Pat

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2004 :  12:05:20 PM  Show Profile
this reminds me of:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2251

i will ask support for a comment, but changing the background colour is probably not likely. i really don't know about making a section read only. VAX would effectively have to "eat" all key presses...

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PatPat

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2004 :  12:30:25 PM  Show Profile
The topic you mention is asking just for a visual aid signaling a particular area.

My point is mainly being able to define protected READ ONLY areas in source files.
The indications of those areas could be done changing the background color or adding something in the left margin, lets say a red bracket covering the area that tells me that that particular area is PROTECTED.

about to swallowing keystrokes on protected areas you're right or probably changing the character for the bell would be better reminding me that I'm trying to edit a protected area

Thanks for your answer
Pat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000