Technical Support
 Tip: Using VAX for non windows development
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

opcode

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  2:25:25 PM  Show Profile
I know this probably isn't a "supported feature" and others probably already know this but I thought I'd share what I learned.

Basically I end up doing a mix of windows and linux programming and since I love the VAX/VS.NET editor combo I decided VAX should be able to help me out doing linux programming.

What you need to do is somehow share your system header files directory from linux (usually /usr/include plus any other pertinent include dirs) with your windows box (I used samba) then map that share to a drive (since UNC paths seem to freak something out in VAX). Now simply add that drive (in my case I:\\) in as a custom "stable include files" directory in the VAX options and restart the VS.NET. Now if you edit a C/C++ file on a linux box through a share back to your windows box VAX will help you out with those crazy APIs, no more trudging through man pages trying to figure out what that parameter is for a function.

Edited by - opcode on Jan 11 2005 6:00:44 PM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  5:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Excellent post. We appreciate the information.

For those not familiar with our Directories node, you might consider reading the related information. The part most pertinent to non-MS development is available at:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.html?more=yes&goto=custom

Basically, one tells VA X not to search the default IDE directories when searching for headers. Instead, tell VA X to search elsewhere -- local or mapped.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000