Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  03:06:27 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I want to report something I've encountered the last few weeks. I really do like the context and definition bar, to quickly see of what type a certain variable is. Sometimes (since the last two or three builds) it seems to happen, not very often but regularly, that the context and definition bar gets stuck. I cannot reproduce it at will, but it happens mostly inside a file with 100 or so variables (with a big deal of global variables) with somewhat complex classes. Another condition is to look up a few (five or so) variables directly after each other (rather quickly).

When the context and definition bar gets stuck it only displays the filename of the current file. When clicking on a next variable the definition bar will not display the current variable.
A way to let it react again is clicking once or twice on the definition bar. Then click on the variable and the definition bar will work again.

It isn't really a pressing matter. But I would appriciate it, if the team of Whole Tomato could take a look at it.

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1219.0
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.40
DevEnv.exe version 7.0.9466.0
msenv.dll version 7.0.9466.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2800.1106
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
2 processors

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  12:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, we cannot reproduce the problem. Let us know if you discover more clues.

Does the problem occur only in headers?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  03:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

I've seen it happen in code (.cpp) files, I can't remember that it happened in header (.h) files.

I'll tab on you shoulder again when I detect more clues...
Thanks.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2004 :  03:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I don't see this effect anymore lately, so hopefully it's fixed (magically? ).

Thanks.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2004 :  02:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Unfortunately the effect of the stalling context and definition bar isn't resolved. I've encountered it in the latest build (1223) a small number of times (at least far less then in the previous builds).

I would appriciate it, if the team of Whole Tomato could take a look. I'm sorry, but I haven't got any more clues (just try clicking a dozen of times on different variables - sometimes wrongly coloured variables).

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2004 :  03:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I still encounter the discribed behaviour (now and then, luckily not too often), but I didn't found any clues.

If someone else encounters this: do you have any extra clues? If you want to get rid of it, just click the drop-down-arrow on the right of the definition field.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1287.0
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1: ****@****.nl (2-user license)
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2004 :  12:27:41 PM  Show Profile
do you have a specific file where this happens fairly regularly? i am guessing there is something either about the files you are using, or something you are including that is triggering this effect.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2004 :  03:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello feline,

It happens to me regularly (but not too often). It happens in all files and all projects. There's nothing I can lay my finger on. It mostly happens when I have to know the definitions of a few variables. I click on one, look at the definition box, then I click the other (sometimes with scrolling in between and sometimes without scrolling), I look at the definition box, etc. After I've repeated this is few times, the definition box stays the same or gives nothing.

There's nothing special about our files (not that I'm aware of). And, as said, it happens in all files and all projects.

Thank you for your efforts.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

fanruijun
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2004 :  11:49:45 PM  Show Profile
I am not good at English
I have tested this bug !

if delete all chinese comment

Problem is sloved

enlish comment is good!

+?+?+?-?+?+?-?-+-?+?-?-?-++?+?+?+?+?+?-+-?+?-?+?-?-++?+?-?++-?-?+?+?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?+?-?+?-?+?+?+?-+-?+?+?+?-++?+?-?-?

+?+?-++?bug+?+?-++?+?-?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?+?-?+?+?-?-?-? +?-?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?-++?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?+?+?
-?-?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?-?-?-++?-+-?-?+?-?+?-++?+?+?+?+?+?
-?-?+?+?-?+++?-+-?+++?+?+?+?-?+?-?-?+?+?+?-?+?+?-?-?+?+?+?+?-?+?+?-+-++?-++?

this bug
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2004 :  03:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Hello fanruijun,

Thank you for your input. From your posting, I read you also noticed this bug. So it is reproducable.
In my case, Chinese comments can't be the issue, because we (our programming-team) don't use Chinese comments (because we don't understand them ); we only use English and rarily Dutch comments. No special characters used.

fanruijun, did you do something special, just before you noted this bug?

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

For all of you a very merry Christmas and a blessed and happy 2005.

Edited by - PatLuja on Dec 20 2004 03:56:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

supercloud

43 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2004 :  8:57:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I am not good at English
I have tested this bug !

if delete all chinese comment

Problem is sloved

enlish comment is good!

+?+?+?-?+?+?-?-+-?+?-?-?-++?+?+?+?+?+?-+-?+?-?+?-?-++?+?-?++-?-?+?+?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?+?-?+?-?+?+?+?-+-?+?+?+?-++?+?-?-?

+?+?-++?bug+?+?-++?+?-?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?+?-?+?+?-?-?-? +?-?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?-++?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?+?+?
-?-?+?+?+?-?+?+?+?-?-?-++?-+-?-?+?-?+?-++?+?+?+?+?+?
-?-?+?+?-?+++?-+-?+++?+?+?+?-?+?-?-?+?+?+?-?+?+?-?-?+?+?+?+?-?+?+?-+-++?-++?

this bug

Translation:
My English is poor, maybe I didn't express the bug clearly. Anyone who understands Chinese helps me to translate it into English, please.
The bug has something to do with non-English comments, and is independent of English comments. If I remove all Chinese comments, the problem is resolved.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2004 :  09:32:25 AM  Show Profile
supercloud can you try VAX 1289. this is the current release, and contains some fixes for Chinese characters: http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1289.exe

patluja, do Dutch comments require any "extended" characters? i am thinking of characters with dots, double dots, slashes or hats over the top of them. i am sure these have names, but the odds of me spelling them right are quite slim

it would make sense if extended characters were somehow involved in this. have you tried 1289? do you have VAView visible? if so, when you encounter this problem how does VAView react? this might give the developers a clue, especially if VAView is responding while the VAX wizard bar is not.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  04:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Yesterday I've installed build 1293. Today I've encountered (again) the freezing of the definition bar... But...

I've enabled logging! After I exit the options dialog, the definition bar functions normally. Half an hour later, the definition bar did get stuck again. [support, I would look at the end of the log-file...] So I hope the log-files do contain some clues about this.

I'll email the log-files to support, right away.
Please, let me know if you know what's wrong now... Thank you.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000