Technical Support
 Suggestion accept character
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuc

11 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  08:27:09 AM  Show Profile
The suggestion accept character is set to Tab, the other two checkboxes unchecked. In spite of that the Space character also accepts the current selection in the listbox. If it isn't a match I'd like to keep only the text what I typed.
Example:

#include <locale>
int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]) {
   std::locale
}

The VAX did not found locale (another curiosity!). When I fully typed the word locale, the suggestion list contained only lexicographical_compare. It wasn't a match for me so I typed Space, and VAX inserted lexicographical_compare().

Other small annoyances:
  • writing std::en and selecting endl from the suggestion list with Tab, VAX completes it to std::endl(). I always have to delete the round brackets. It would be better to insert the round brackets only if I type the opening round bracket (as in the MS intellisense).
  • In the tooltip of a function with default parameters the "=" sign is missing.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  01:15:17 AM  Show Profile
The options to "accept with tab and enter" apply only to suggestion lists, i..e the ones with question marks. They do not apply to listboxes, which is what you see when you type ::

Space in a listbox selects, as you have discovered.

For more info on suggestion lists:
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.html?more=yes

Press Ctrl+Space any time you see a suggestion list to get a listbox of all completions.

As for not finding "locale," you've bumped into a peculiar nuance of VA X. Listboxes that appear when you type :: are from MS and default Intellisense -- in all circumstances. (Long story omitted.) It's MS that cannot find locale.

case=9

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2458

As for the ()s... disable "Insert ()..." on the "Text Editor|Correction" node of our options dialog. VA X will no longer insert ()s when selecting from listboxes.
Go to Top of Page

Cuc

11 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  04:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks the answer, how could I miss that Insert() option :). About the Space in listboxes: wouldn't it be more consistent to work the same way as in suggestion lists? It is good to have the possibility to tailor automatisms to my personal taste, as in the case of suggestion lists, and corrections. But even so, sometimes I find myself typing more (or more precisely, spending more time on a given expression) with intellisense (VAX or MS) than without it.
Go to Top of Page

Cuc

11 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  05:34:22 AM  Show Profile
I have to correct my observation about the missing "=" sign in default parameter list in tooltips. It seems that it is true only for std functions. For example in the basic_string::find_first_of function.

I played with the Insert() option suggested by support. If it is turned off it affects the quotation marks (single and double) too. If it is on the autoclosing of qutation marks doesn't work in function arguments. I have a suggestion for handling the autoclosing of brackets and quotation marks. Split the Include() and autoclose in two separate options. If Include() is on VAX inserts the opening bracket/qutation mark. If autoclose is on VAX closes them whether they was typed by the user or VAX. The current working corresponds to Include() off/autoclose off and Include() on/autoclose on. From the four possible settings I'd like to use the Include() off and autoclose on.
Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  07:07:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello Cuc,
your suggestion sound's good to me, but i think there will be soon some coments about having to much options.
Go to Top of Page

Cuc

11 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  08:18:18 AM  Show Profile
I admit that it would mean too many options. It could be reduced to only [autoclose on/off] and no Insert(). I think that it would be more reasonable than the current [Insert() and autoclose] on/off.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000