Technical Support
 Can't install on VS 7.1
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kadee

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2005 :  11:40:30 AM  Show Profile
I have VS 6.0 installed. I then installed Visual Assist (I don't recall which version any more, it's been a long time ago). I upgraded to Visual Assist X (free upgrade for VS 6.0 only).
A few months later I installed Visual Studio 7.1 (kept the VS 6 installation for older projects) and during installation it complained that an addin could not start. That was Visual Assist X. I then upgraded my license to a full Visual Assist X license.
Since it won't start in VS 71 I ran VS 6 and entered my new license key there, but still VS 71 refuses to load VA. The error message I get is:
"The Add-in 'Visual Assist X' failed to load or caused an exception.
Would you like to remove this Add-in?
If you choose yes, you will need to reinstall the Add-in to use it again.

Error message: Class not registered

Error number: 80040154"

I have already tried with uninstalling VA completely from my system and clearing the entries in the registry, but it keeps failing.

What can I do?

I already found this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893421 which looks like it's related to my problem, but I tried it with each dll in the VA directory, but that did not work.

I'm using:
Microsoft Development Environment 2003 Version 7.1.3088
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Version 1.1.4322 SP1
Visual Assist 10.1.1293

Edited by - kadee on Feb 14 2005 11:45:33 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2005 :  3:17:30 PM  Show Profile
very much grasping at straws here. if you uninstall VAX is there any sign of VAX when you load either of the IDE's?

if there is some trace that is not being uninstalled, and that you have not found then this could explain what is happening. does deleting the VAX subdirectory make any difference?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2005 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Can you send an email to [email protected]? Give us info to find your license in our customer records.

We'll check to make sure your keys are okay.
Go to Top of Page

kadee

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2005 :  04:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I tried clearing VAX completely from my system including deleting the directory and removing any VAX references from the registry. When I reinstall VAX it neatly informs me that menus will be reset and it does so for both VS6 and VS.NET. Nothing wrong until I start VS.NET. Then the error message pops up. The AddIn Manager lists the VAX plugin but when I enable the pluging the same error message pops up again. I entered my key in VS6 and it was accepted without any problem. VAX works fine in VS6.

Could this be because VS6 and VS.NET are both installed and VS.NET is not installed in the default directories? I really need both VS versions and unfortunately I do not have the luxury of having two separate development systems. I don't think my license would allow installing on two machines anyway, would it?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2005 :  06:18:55 AM  Show Profile
email support and they will check your license.

i have installed both VC6 and .NET 2003 on a single win2k machine at home, and i am running VAX on this without any problems. it is working in both IDE's just fine. i did have a problem when i used my old .NET only VAX key, but upgrading to a VC6 plus .NET key fixed this for me.

with regard to the licence, from http://www.wholetomato.com/support/agreement.html i think the critical part is "You must treat this software just like a book"

my reading of this is that you are allowed to use a single VAX licence on two different machines so long as only one is being used at any one time. personally i use my single licence both at home and at work. since i can only be in one place at a time i believe this is acceptable

if you did have the option of two machines you should be ok if only one of them is running the IDE at a time, since VAX checks over the local network for duplicate licence keys http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#check

if this ever comes up checking with support for an official verdict might not be a bad idea

Go to Top of Page

kadee

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2005 :  08:09:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:

email support and they will check your license.

I have sent a message. I just received a full (VS6 & VS.NET) code a couple of days ago, because I lost my VS6 key, so I could not use the upgrade key. Should work ... The .NET key was accepted in VS6.

quote:

i have installed both VC6 and .NET 2003 on a single win2k machine at home, and i am running VAX on this without any problems. it is working in both IDE's just fine. i did have a problem when i used my old .NET only VAX key, but upgrading to a VC6 plus .NET key fixed this for me.

I'm running on an XP PRO SP2. Local firewall is disabled. Couldn't be the OS, could it? Or maybe...? The error seems to indicate a problem with COM or .NET registration ... In case you're wondering: I have Administrator rights on my machine.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2005 :  1:52:35 PM  Show Profile
in an emergency i can break out a new VMWare virtual machine and set about installing winXP pro on it, and then installing both IDE's on it, but i *really* don't want to have to try this, because it is going to take hours, probably hours and hours.

other people use more than one IDE at the same time, so if it was simply the OS we probably would have heard about this before now. i am hoping the new licence key will fix the problems.

Go to Top of Page

RMdata

17 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2005 :  2:08:26 PM  Show Profile
I also use Visual Assist X at home and at work, and have both Visual Studio 6 Enterprise and Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise installed on both machines.

I don't have Visual Assist installed in VS6, but do in VS2003 on both machines. I don't have the problem on either machine.

I have had the problem with other add-ins from time to time. What has worked for me in those situations is (after removing the offending plugin) to remove the registry keys for the problem plugin from both these locations, then reinstalling:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\7.1\\Addins\\problemPlugin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\7.1\\AddIns\\problemPlugin

Note that Visual Assist X creates a key with multiple values in the above locations + \\VAssistNET.Connect
and also in the locations
HKEY_xxx\\Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\7.1Exp\\...

Hope this helps!
Mark.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2005 :  3:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Can you send us startup.log from the VA X installation directory?

Do you have any other add-in installed?

One license for two PCs is fine as long as you do not run VA X on both PCs at any one time.

Two IDEs on one PC should be fine. Many of our customers, including ourselves, run this way.

Go to Top of Page

kadee

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  05:36:38 AM  Show Profile
OK, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them later today along with the new key (looks identical to the one I had at first sight, but I'll try it anyway).

I'll keep you posted on my progress/failures.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  11:40:06 AM  Show Profile
If you have other add-ins, try disabling them.

Check also for other VSIP packages. They are listed likely in the About box of VS.NET. If there are any suspect, try uninstalling them.
Go to Top of Page

kadee

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Nope nothing worked for me

I uninstalled VAX, cleared the directories and files, cleared all the relevant registry keys ( HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\\Whole Tomato\\* and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\*\\VAssistNET.Connect ), then reinstalled VAX.

But alas no ... still the same error when VS.NET loads the VAX add-in.

The key didn't help either because I cannot even get as far as entering the key in VS.NET. I have tried disabling the 'Project Line Counter' add-in but that made no difference at all. FWIW: I have VB.NET, VC#.NET VC++.NET and Crystal Reports for VS.NET installed, but I think that hardly matters.

I could enter the key in VS6 and looks OK:

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1293.0
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2006.02.09
VA 6.0:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
MSDev.exe version 6.0.8168.2
Devshl.dll version 6.0.8798.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.8447.0
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2800.1106
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
Single processor

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\SRC;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;

Other Includes:
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  6:58:20 PM  Show Profile
Grasping Straw:
You do allow VAX-Setup to reset Toolbars and Custom Menus, do you?

Or does it do that automagically without asking? I think it does when VAX is not upgrading, right?

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2005 :  02:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Your assumption is correct -- VA X reset VS.NET if it is not upgrading. This happens during initial install, and after any time that VA X is uninstalled prior to an install.

We are really at a loss.

We cannot repro the problem. None of our first guesses make any difference.

The only item worth noting is your VS.NET installation directory is not the default directory. This should not matter.

We can only surmise that your VS.NET installation got whacked by some VSIP package or add-in, or the sequence of installing such products. The IDE can be fickle.

Any chance you could uninstall and install your IDE???
Go to Top of Page

kadee

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2005 :  5:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Oops. Sorry I've been quite busy the last few days.

Yes, indeed nobody else seems to experience the problems I have, so it must be something in my installation. Unfortunately I do not have many options either. My C: disk is almost full, so I need to install on another partition and I still need to maintain our old VC6 code. The VS.NET installation is controlled by our IT department. Not much that I can do differently. There are a lot of tools and applications installed on my machine and probably the security settings are not standard either (I don't know what the settings are anyway, the IT department pushes it's policies on every machine at every login). I even cannot turn off the virus scanner temporarily.

I guess I'll have to live with the current situation until Q3, when my PC will be swapped. If VAX won't install on my new machine, I'll return it to IT until it works. VS.NET without VAX makes me feel like Fred Flintstone ...

Edited by - kadee on Feb 22 2005 5:29:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2005 :  02:49:29 AM  Show Profile
I have the same problem at home. At work, Visual Assist X works perfectly on my Visual Studio .NET 2003 installation, but at home I have the same problem Kadee describes.

It did work sometime, but after a reinstallation of my system, I installed everything clean. VS.NET, MSDN and then VAX 1293. Since then I haven't been able to use visual assist due to the same problem.

Because I will get a new system soon, I didn't think of reporting this bug, because I would hope it was fixed on my new system. Until then I will have to do with a colourless, featureless texteditor (VS.NET) :-)

Anyway I just wanted to let kadee know... you're not alone out there :-)
Go to Top of Page

KatieK

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2005 :  5:05:46 PM  Show Profile
I can not run the latest build of VAX (1297) under VSNET 7.1. The installation goes perfectly well, but when I try to open the IDE, I get a MessageBox stating "The Add-in "Visual Assist X" failed to load or caused an exception. Would you like to remove this Add-in? ..."
Error Message <Unknown Error>
Error number: 800a0030

I have tried to uninstall VAX completely, then reinstall it, but same error. I have Framework 2.0 beta (and Whidbey) installed on this machine, but the previous version of VAX was working fine (granted it was installed before I installed the December CTP of Whidbey).

Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2005 :  09:54:10 AM  Show Profile
At work I wanted to upgrade from VAX 1293 to 1297, and I got the same problem as KatieK describes. Installing 1293 back, luckely fixes things again. Is there a problem here?

I am using VS.NET 2003 with .NET framework 1.1 SP1
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  10:17:45 AM  Show Profile
We believe we have a fix in build 1298 for the "Error number: 800a0030" problem.

Can you try the build if you have or had the problem? Just install over your existing build. If it fails, reinstall 1293.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1298.exe
Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  10:26:35 AM  Show Profile
Nice! This fixes things for me at work. I hope it also fixes my "80040154" error at home so I will also try it and will let you guys know after the weekend.

Great job!
Go to Top of Page

KatieK

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2005 :  09:24:29 AM  Show Profile
build 1298 fixed it for me as well.. many thanks! :)
Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2005 :  09:52:39 AM  Show Profile
At home I still have the "80040154" error, where this topic was original entered for :-(

Can something be done about this one as well?? I can imagine it is a similar bug.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2005 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile
kadee:
You wrote in your first post, "A few months later I installed Visual Studio 7.1 (kept the VS 6 installation for older projects) and during installation it complained that an addin could not start."

Are you saying you got the complaint *during* installation of VS.NET? Or did you get the complaint when you first attempted to start VS.NET *after* the installation?

You say also you cannot reinstall VS.NET because it's done by your IT Dept.

Many of our customers have VA X for VC++ 6.0 then upgrade to VS.NET. We suspect few, not even ourselves, uninstall VA X before the upgrade. We didn't think it was necessary but since you might have gotten an error during installation, your installation of VS.NET might be unclean.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  12:33:24 PM  Show Profile
We had one user with the 80040154 message who solved the problem by reinstalling SP2.

We now have another user with the error (reporting it via email) for whom SP2 did not solve the problem.

We suspect there is something peculiar with the IDE setup for those with the 80040154 message. We cannot reproduce it ourselves.

Has anyone else found a workaround? Reinstall of the IDE? (Removal first??)

Anything peculiar with how your IDE was installed? Upgraded? Sequence of installs/upgrades?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000