New features : multi-line tab
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xash

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  05:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

Well I'm not sure if you feel it belongs in Visual Assist but well I'd be more than glad if you could add the possibility to have multiline tabbed multi-documents in the Visual Studio .NET 2003.

I used to use WndTabs on VS6 and the current configuration in .NET 2003 is really annoying, it becames really inpractical to use the document tabs when you opened more than few source files. The small arrows just dont cut it.

So if you could add this feature in VA X, I would be really greatfull.

Also, would it be possible to have an option to disable enhanced auto-completion and have only enhanced syntax-highlighting. Sadly, the default completion works quite a bit better than VA in my project. I use only STL and some - I think - simple templates. Although the completion of VA is really messed up.

If you want to fix the completion issue instead, I could also send you the headers of our product so you can test it out. If so email me.

Thanks,
Pierre

Edited by - Xash on Mar 23 2005 05:20:53 AM

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  05:44:51 AM  Show Profile
I was also a user of WndTabs on VS6 and I must say, I really miss that functionality too in VS.NET.

- All open documents visible (multi-line), without a scrollbar
- More functionality when right-clicking on a tab
- close a document with a little cross on each tab
- Readonly files in red
- corresponding cpp and h files on 1 tab
- etc....

Maybe it is not functionality that VA should offer, but it would be very nice...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2005 :  1:43:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Xash

Also, would it be possible to have an option to disable enhanced auto-completion and have only enhanced syntax-highlighting. Sadly, the default completion works quite a bit better than VA in my project. I use only STL and some - I think - simple templates. Although the completion of VA is really messed up.

getting VAX to handle the STL better is a long running request. for now have you tried turning on the VAX option:

text editor -> listboxes -> get content from default intellisense

? this should have the desired effect, while still allowing you to use the filtering features of VA 10.1 on the listboxes.

with regard to the tabs in .NET 2003 i have never really used VC6, so i have not used WndTabs. however i will readily agree that the .NET tabs are not brilliant. have you considered asking the author of WndTabs about this? i believe he is still actively developing plugin's and such.

i am not quite sure if this falls within VAX's scope or not. if the author of WndTabs has no plans to look at the .NET IDE's i can ask. do either of you know if there is any improvement to the tabs in .NET 2005?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2005 :  1:26:20 PM  Show Profile
The author of wndtabs, Oz, has been a user of VA for a long time. According to Oz, he's still planning to make a VS.NET version of his add-in. He gets requests for it daily.
Go to Top of Page

Xash

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2005 :  9:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, I tried to use the default intellisense, the "little" problem is that when I do so I cant complete the words at all anymore, everytime I press the tab key it just insert a tab :P And Ctrl-Space doesnt do anything...

So the autocompletion is pretty much useless as it is.

For the tabs, well I mean that would be great to have soon, the only thing that I'd like to have quickly would be to have multiline tabs, the rest is kinda a side issue (but of course would be nice).

I guess I could go and dig myself in the VS.NET plugins and see if it's possible to change that, but well I'm pretty sure the VAX team would be able to do that much faster than I considering the inner knowledge of VS they got making VA.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2005 :  10:36:32 AM  Show Profile
Do you have "Tab" enabled on the "Text Editor|Suggestions" node of our options dialog? Despite the associate with suggestions, the option applies also to completion listboxes.
Go to Top of Page

gmit
Whole Tomato Software

Croatia
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2005 :  01:57:38 AM  Show Profile
About WndTabs...

I've actually managed to produce a multiline tabs feature for VS7.1 (proof of concept: http://www.bigeneric.com/software/wt1.gif), tab groupping, close buttons on each tab and, as an editor feature, custom colouring based on user-provided regular expressions...

However, even though all of that works suprisingly well, it's still not in a state to be published... :( And, since I have a proper job and this is not paid by anyone, it won't probably be ever released. Sad...
Go to Top of Page

Xash

7 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2005 :  01:52:40 AM  Show Profile
Well, can I have any answer from the WholeTomato staff ?

I registered my copy of VA, so obviously I tried all combinaision of configurations possible before giving up on VAX. I'm not a huge fan of spending 75$ on things I cant use...

Note that I was previously VA6 at work and I didnt have any issues. Now the .NET versions have all those annoying problems.

I'm still more than interested into the multi-line tabs btw.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2005 :  06:28:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm not at all sure that multi-line tabs are — or should be — within the scope of VA. I'd much rather see WT spending their time ironing out the bugs in their existing features, rather than introducing any more stuff. Multi-line tabs is probably a job for a completely separate plugin.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Xash

7 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2005 :  09:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

Well maybe, I just believe it's simple enought, should be a matter of getting the tab control and setting it to multiline.

I looked into the DTE documentation on MSDN, and wrote some VS.NET plugins myself, but I couldnt find a way to get the tab control, or even the HWND or anything to get to that part. If anybody got a clue on that, I'll do it and release that small plugin to everybody.

I just hopped that looking into the thighter integration (VSIP), it would be a straighforward task. And as VAX is already quite evolved and has already a bit of feature that are a bit out of focus, I wouldnt see that as a big mismatch.

Anyway, I'm quite in favour of fixing bugs as primary target, I personally try to fix all bugs before adding any new feature...

- Pierre
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2005 :  09:37:23 AM  Show Profile
We have no plans to introduce multi-line tabs.
Go to Top of Page

Xash

7 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2005 :  09:11:47 AM  Show Profile
Ok... well too bad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000