Improvements to the "Go" button
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scs0

15 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2005 :  2:36:22 PM  Show Profile
There are some improvements I'd like to see with the "Go" button:

1) Forward declarations should be ignored. Say you have a project with the class "CMyString" defined in MyString.h, but you have forward declarations of "class CMyString;" in other source code files. The only CMyString that the "Go" button should take you to is the one in MyString.h. My company uses forward declarations a lot, so the Go button is largely useless at times.

2) Clicking on a filename in an include should always do one of the following a) Open the file, b) Display a list of files of that name so the user can open it and c) Display a message saying that the file does not exist. The "Go" button should never come up empty handed if the file exists! If the compiler can find the file, then so should the "Go" button. Can't the set files of the projects be used for this purpose? I guess it's possible that a 3rd party app can't access all of the files, but what really amazes me how Microsoft can't even get that feature to work - and they have access to ALL of Visual Studio's source code!

Thanks

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2005 :  2:56:05 PM  Show Profile
i have just double checked forward declarations. for me (using C++, .NET 2003 and VA 1299) they are ignored. i often use forward declarations of class names, and i have never seen VA list these headers when i ask it to jump to a class.

likewise i have never seen VA fail when i ask it to jump to an included file via the file name.

can you provide more details of when this is going wrong for you?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000