Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2005 :  09:00:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

whenever I have "Get content from default Intellisense" enabled I do not get the parameter list of functions in my own headers when typing ( after the function name. I have to enter at least a , after the opening (. Then the parameter list appears and the second parameter is highlighted (if it exists).

For C/C++ runtime or windows function this behaves correctly. It is also correct when I disable the "Get content from default Intellisense" option.

I am using VS.Net 2003 and to reproduce the behaviour you can create an empty C++ Win32 console app. Add a header file to the project with this content:

int MyFunc(int myParam);

Include the header in you main cpp.
In your main function type:

MyFunc(

See that the parameter tooltip does not appear when "Get content from default Intellisense" is enable. Enter a comma and see the tooltip appear with no parameter highlighted in bold because the function has only one parameter.

The "Get content from default Intellisense" option does also break the "parameter completion" when I implement a function. So start typing:

int MyFunc(

in the main cpp file. Without the option I get a completion tooltip, which will enter the complete parameter list. With the option enabled no tooltip appears.

Bye,
SvenC

Edited by - SvenC on Mar 31 2005 09:02:29 AM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2005 :  5:09:49 PM  Show Profile
We assume you have "Parameter information" enabled in Tools|Options|Text Editor|C/C++.

If we enable "Get content from default Intellisense", we get parameter info if we accept a suggestion for MyFunc. We do not get info if we type all six characters of MyFunc, and the left parenthesis.

Is this consistent with what you see?
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2005 :  01:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Parameter Information is enabled.

The tooltip behaviour after accepting a suggestion is not always the same in my scenario:

When I have the function body or header in my current cpp where I want the param info than I get a param tooltip no matter if I type the complete function name or accept a suggestion. The first param of my test function is of type int. The VS param tooltip + VA suggestion box comes up after typing the opening parenthesis. Additionally VA shows a tooltip for the int suggestion:
/***
* int (*)() _getdllprochandle(handle, name, ordinal) - Get the ...
*Purpose:
*Entry:

That comment is definitely not in my project source files. Must come from some standard include file.

When the function header is only in a header file which I include in my cpp file than the param info does not show until I enter a comma - independant of accepting the suggestion or typing the complete function name.

Can you reproduce that?

Bye,
SvenC
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2005 :  03:20:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

We do not get info if we type all six characters of MyFunc, and the left parenthesis.

Uhm, is this behaviour by design?

I often do not accept suggestion (not looking at screen while I'm typing, so I do not see suggestion) and wonder why there are no parameter infos in a tooltip...

Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2005 :  02:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Any decision if this is by design or a bug?
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2005 :  02:37:30 AM  Show Profile
When I look at the template parsing problems of VAX I do hope that the option "Get content from default Intellisense" will work correctly because that might be a good workaround to get all the extra intellisense where VAX is capable and at least the default intellisense for language constructs which are not covered completely by VAX.

Bye,
SvenC
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2005 :  6:01:06 PM  Show Profile
i have decided that this is a bug since it looks like one to me

case=558

this covers the bug report in the original post.

i am also seeing the tooltip about _getdllprochandle(handle, name, ordinal)

case=559

this only seems to happen under some conditions in my testing. "get content from default intellisense" being turned on seems to be one of them.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000