VA View window causes .NET strangeness
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tom Forsyth

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2005 :  2:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Using .NET, DevEnv 2003 version 7.1.3088 (despite what the info dump below thinks). Fairly easy repro, at least on my machine :-)

Start .NET, move all the tool windows over to the left hand side, and put them to "pop out" mode, so they're normally just bars, not windows. I mean the "Properties", "Dynamic help", "Solution Explorer", etc bars.

Now take the VA View one, and drag it to the right hand side, so it's the only one on the right side. Then pin it so it's permanently open. So I have my main (maximised) source window in the middle, VA View open on the right side, and all other tools minimised on the left. You can have the Find/Output window open at the bottom or not - seems to happen either way.

This all works fine while editing code, etc. Until you close Dev Studio and open it again. And the windows are all in strange positions, strange shapes, half of the tools have vanished, and there's large black areas of dead screen. Closing and reopening Dev Studio a few times causes a few of the windows to re-open, but it never fully fixes itself, and things seem to be offset about ten pixels up and left. All very odd. The way to fix it is to go Tools/Options/General/Reset Window Layout.

You can then do a repro of the above a few times for kicks.

The thing that _stops_ this happening is if VA View is not the only tool on the right side. I moved the Server Explorer and Toolbox bars over there, because I never use them, _then_ I dragged the VA View tab over there, and all is well. So there's something strange about VA View being the only thing on the right.

TomF.

Info dump:

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1299.0
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 2.0.731.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2005 :  8:31:47 PM  Show Profile
The workaround you describe is correct. Thank you for posting it.

The API to the IDE for creating subwindows is a bit flakey. We are not that surprised at odd behavior under very specific window layouts.

We will try to repro and see if we can fix your specific layout.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  2:55:34 PM  Show Profile
as a work around you may be able to use the IDE powertoy for saving and restoring your window layout

http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/releases/viewuploads.aspx?id=7ca49cdf-3b34-4da7-b783-3679cd4cdec5

i use this on one of my machines which has dual monitors. keeping VA View plus several other windows to the right, on the second monitor occasionally causes the window layout to break, but only occasionally, at random. this program allows me to restore my desired window layout, which is nice

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Tom Forsyth

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  1:34:09 PM  Show Profile
Discovered that the workaround is not quite perfect. When you start up DevStudio, sometimes the Find Results/Output window at the bottom is only a few pixels high. Dragging it larger works fine though, and the VA View is useful enough to just remember to resize it each time. DevStudio's IDE is obviously not the most robust bit of code ever written.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000