Technical Support
 [HELP] No tooltips/VA View content in .NET 2003
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rwhapham

7 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  5:45:43 PM  Show Profile
Using build 1301 in a new Visual Studio .NET 2003 installation, I'm not getting any tooltips in my text editor pane, nor am I getting any content in the VA View when I hover (C++ file). Any ideas? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  12:01:31 AM  Show Profile
If you click symbols, do you get info in our Definition field at the top of your source window?

Is the file saved?

What is the extension of the file?
Go to Top of Page

rwhapham

7 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  09:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes, clicking symbols shows the proper information in the Definition field, and the scope is properly tracked in the list of methods. It happens on any .cpp or .h file that I have in my project; all of which have been saved. I'm running Visual Studio .NET 2003 7.1.3088 on WinXP Pro SP2. No other VS extensions or add-ins When I get a chance, I'm going to try VAX on other machine with a fresh install of VS2003.
Go to Top of Page

rwhapham

7 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  10:25:08 AM  Show Profile
No luck with the clean install of VS .NET 2003 and VAX 1301. If I disable VAX, I get the Visual Studio tooltips in the editor window just fine. When I enable VAX, I get nothing.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  01:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Very strange.

In VS.NET 2003, there is no option within the IDE to display, or not display tooltips. They should always be active. (There is no option within VA X either.)

Is there anything peculiar about your setup? Language settings? Fonts and colors?

If you hover over a symbol then slide right without leaving the symbol, does a tooltip appear?
Go to Top of Page

rwhapham

7 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile
Actually, the setting to tooltips is there in VS .NET 2003--it's just a bit out of the way. You'll find it in the Options dialog under Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Formatting as "Enable automatic QuickInfo tooltips". With VAX disabled, this setting turns on/off VS's code tooltips.

I think I have stumbled upon the problem. I don't use VAX's enhanced syntax coloring. I just customize VS's colorization. With it on, the VA View and tooltips work. With it off...nothing. Hopefully you can reproduce the problem now.

Edited by - rwhapham on May 12 2005 10:09:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 13 2005 :  1:41:25 PM  Show Profile
You are right about the option in the IDE. We were thinking of something else. (Brain freeze.)

We can reproduce the problem with coloring and hovering tooltips. We will fix it shortly.

case=615
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000