New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  1:42:40 PM  Show Profile
After opening a C++ solution, VAX starts parsing the headers contained in the projects for that solution (I have "Parse all header files when project is opened" option enabled). During this time, the status bar at the bottom of the IDE displays "Parsing <filename_currently_being_parsed>". It's quite rare that this ever seems to finish (by "finish" I mean that the status text changes to "Ready" by itself) - 95% of the time it appears to hang while parsing an arbitrary header. It's not necessarily the same header each time, and sometimes the header it hangs on is one of the VS.NET headers.

Doing any action that refreshes the header text (such as switching between Find Results 1 and Find Results 2 [where these are docked together in a tabbed fashion]) changes the status text to "Ready".

Is this expected behavior?

what could possibly go wrong? :D

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  1:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Sorry - didn't include my info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1416.0 built 2005.06.17
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2005.09.07
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 2.0.1332.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\sdk\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

VS.NET 2003, English. C++ only

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  3:27:50 PM  Show Profile
try opening the OFIW dialog. if parsing has not yet finished then no files are listed and the dialog title bar will tell you that VA is still parsing.

the problem with the status bar is that both VA and the IDE are writing to it, and the IDE doesn't know anything about VA. i suspect what you have is the status bar not refreshing properly at the end of parsing.

case=670

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

try opening the OFIW dialog. if parsing has not yet finished then no files are listed and the dialog title bar will tell you that VA is still parsing.

Ah, good idea. Thanks for the workaround. I was worried that it may have been related to my other issue (with syntax highlighting) but apparently that isn't the case! :)

Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  1:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Not that it's very high priority, but this is still happening (though it's pretty rare, now) in build 1418, and the release notes mentioned it as fixed.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  1:55:57 PM  Show Profile
it seems fixed for me. are there any obvious triggers or differences when this fails? if you were doing things in the IDE that caused it to update the status bar that could be a factor.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  2:15:19 PM  Show Profile
No. Nothing out of the ordinary. I closed the solution, synched my local machine to the latest code in source control, then reopened the solution. I switched tasks to do something else on my other monitor, while the solution was being opened. When I looked over at the monitor with VS.NET on it, the status text was stuck on "Parsing SuchAndSuchFile.h". Nothing special about the file it seemed to be "stuck" on - in fact, it's an auto-generated header so there are lots of other header files in the solution that have similar layouts and reference the same symbols. After I start working in VS.NET (switching between files, activating panels, etc.), the status text eventually just changes to "Ready" at some point.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000