New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  2:11:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm currently using build 1416.

If I open a single instance of VS.NET 2003, VAssist works great. Alt-G works, Intellisense works, and it is able to parse all my symbols without problems.

If I then open another instance of VS 2003, VAssist immediately stops working. My original instance of VS.NET immediately starts getting the red squiggles under all base objects and classes (MFC and Win32) and Intellisense no longer works. EVERYTHING has red squiggles under it...CString, CDialog, GetDlgItem, etc. This includes the new instance of the IDE.

If I close them both down, then restart a single instance of VS.NET, VAssist starts working like a champ.

Never had these problems with build 12xx and 13xx, so there is something definitely up. I've uninstalled, completely and manually removed all traces of VAssist. I've cleared the cache, reparsed numerous times, checked the directory settings (same as 12xx and 13xx) and nothing fixes this. At least it is reproducible, but that doesn't help me. I NEED to be able to have multiple VS instances open at once. Why is it no longer working on my machine?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  3:04:28 PM  Show Profile
so far i am unable to reproduce this. when you open the second IDE is it automatically loading a solution? if it is, is this the same solution as the first IDE? does it have overlapping projects?

do you have any other addin's installed?

does this effect show up with all projects, or only with one?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  3:24:21 PM  Show Profile
The solutions are separate, with no overlapping projects. There are files that are in include dirs that are used in both solutions, though. But that shouldn't be a problem.

Only other addin installed is Axosoft's OnTime 2005 VS add-in. I uninstalled that, thinking it might be causing the problem, but was able to repro the issue with it uninstalled (and after a reboot).

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  2:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Start the first instance of Visual Studio and enable logging on the Performance tab of the VA X options dialog. Load the workspace. Start the other instance and recreate the problem. Close all instances.

You will have two files C:\\va.log and ...\\Visual Assist X\\Startup.log

Please zip and send these files.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  2:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Are you using Norton AV?

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3712&whichpage=2
Go to Top of Page

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  4:58:09 PM  Show Profile
Yes, we are using NAV Corp. 10. Interesting. The same software affects my company's software in extreme cases but I chalked it up to user error.

Is this something that Whole Tomato can workaround or is this an issue that is placed solely at the feet of Symantec?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  10:23:09 AM  Show Profile
We will certainly try to solve the problem.

What specific version of NAV Corp 10 do you have?

Does the problem go away when you disable "the on demand checking?" (We want to verify what was discovered in topic 3712.)
Go to Top of Page

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  11:40:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm using Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0.0.359, scan engine 103.0.2.7, updated via a managed server.

I don't see an option for "on demand checking". I'm not sure what that refers to, as there is no option (that I can find) in the AV client that has that label.

I'm assuming that the original poster meant "Enable Auto-Protect" under Configure | File System Auto-Protect. This basically disables the AV client, except for manual or scheduled scans. Obviously, I would not want to disable this, as it leaves my machine vulnerable.

But, if i disable auto-protect, yes, VA works without the aforementioned issues. Interesting that the AV client would be affecting the VA cache files.

Please let me know what else I can provide, as I (and I'm sure Whole Tomato) would like this resolved as quickly as possible.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  5:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Yup, "Enable Auto-Protect" is enabled (by default, this checks every opened/copied/moved file for Viruses).

I doubt anybody would like to disable it .
We might check if the problem goes away when you temporarily disable it.

Go to Top of Page

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  11:21:37 AM  Show Profile
Excluding the Visual Assist vc7 directory resolves the issue for me. Not a perfect solution, but allows me to continue using VA X.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  5:10:24 PM  Show Profile
We received an update from Symantec:

"We are working on a fix. In the meantime, please use [ http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/savrticfg.exe ] to turn off [Auto-protect] until a fix [in NAV] is posted.

1) Put savrticfg.exe in the Symantec AntiVirus directory (same directory as SAVRT.dat)

2) From the command line run:

savrticfg.exe ICFG:OpenScanningMode 0

AutoProtect will need to be reloaded for this setting to take effect. [Reboot the machine]

There are no changes in functionality and the change will be transparent."
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  03:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Well, I don't intend to spoil you fun having found a solution, butG?

I've got the same effect but on a machine which is completely without any Norton or other virus protection. After a while of working with two IDEs with non overlapping projects the effect as described occurs. IG??ve taken the time to test it without VAX G?? no problemG?.

So how does this fit?

Using VAX B1418, VS2005 Beta II

PS: @feline G?? IG??ve not heard back from support since I sent the project filesG?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  5:03:06 PM  Show Profile
with the problem on this machine do you have any other plugin's installed? any aggressive anti-spyware programs? since norton caused this i am wondering if some other invasive program could be at work.

with regard to the email about the jumping cursor i have rooted around in my email. did you receive the reply that was sent you on 22nd July 2005? i was cc'ed on the reply, but no further email about this has passed me by. a couple of questions were included in the reply.

Edited by - feline on Aug 10 2005 6:30:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  5:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Disabling AutoProtect is not a very realistic option. My suggestion is to just exclude the vc7 Visual Assist directory.

btw, I can't seem to get b1418 to work with the July CTP of VS.NET 2005. Didn't know if this is a known problem or just my installation. The VS splash screen displays but then the app exits without an error message. Won't even work when run in safe mode. Error logging determined it was crashing when loading VAssistX. Uninstalling VAssistX resolved the problem. I understand that I'm running a beta IDE, so this isn't a complaint. Just wanted to let someone know if they didn't already.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:35:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Disabling AutoProtect is not a very realistic option. My suggestion is to just exclude the vc7 Visual Assist directory.

Unfortunately, you seem to be the only person that has had success with directory exclusion. As far as the Symantec fix is concerned, I don't believe it disables AutoProtect. It modifies the way it works - which is why it requires a restart of the service.

quote:

btw, I can't seem to get b1418 to work with the July CTP of VS.NET 2005. Didn't know if this is a known problem or just my installation. The VS splash screen displays but then the app exits without an error message. Won't even work when run in safe mode. Error logging determined it was crashing when loading VAssistX. Uninstalling VAssistX resolved the problem. I understand that I'm running a beta IDE, so this isn't a complaint. Just wanted to let someone know if they didn't already.

Thanks - I don't think we were aware of this.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:46:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MrJones4u

I've got the same effect but on a machine which is completely without any Norton or other virus protection. After a while of working with two IDEs with non overlapping projects the effect as described occurs. IG??ve taken the time to test it without VAX G?? no problemG?.

I'm a little lost on this comment. Which effect do you mean? The effect mentioned in the post that started this thread was essentially that VA stops working. I agree that testing without VAX should result in no VAX behavior but is that what you mean?
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  12:37:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sean

quote:
Originally posted by MrJones4u

I'm a little lost on this comment. Which effect do you mean? The effect mentioned in the post that started this thread was essentially that VA stops working. I agree that testing without VAX should result in no VAX behavior but is that what you mean?

I mean that I've been working with multiple IDEs on a machine without norton or any other add-in of any type nither to windows in general nor to the IDE. I work for weeks on end (the computer running 24/7) without having to close the IDEs (running 2 or 3 instances) for any reason. Activate VAX and after a few hours I get the effects described here... "1409 and later screws up multiple IDE instances" and a few others. Which is a hassel as I quite like VAX.

This is true with both VS2003 and VS2005. VS6 seems to survive longer but I don't use it as often on that machine. On my other machine I use a pre 1400 version (and norton) and I'm quite happy with that.

Regards,
Michael
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  2:08:00 PM  Show Profile
MrJones4u, i am slightly grasping at straws here, but have you tried restarting your machine? if this stops the effect, or allows you to run for quite a bit longer without problems then this would be a clue.

Go to Top of Page

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  3:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, I've upgraded to Norton AV Corporate 10.0.1.1000 and the problem still exists if I don't exclude the vc7 directory under Visual Assist.

This happens to me immediately after opening the second IDE instance. No other add-ins are installed. This exists on all projects...even if I create two new ones. Exists regardless as to whether I check them into SCM (Perforce).
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  3:02:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

MrJones4u, i am slightly grasping at straws here, but have you tried restarting your machine? if this stops the effect, or allows you to run for quite a bit longer without problems then this would be a clue.

Some things that I've done:

1) restarting the machine
2) disabling VAX with the VAX own disable function
3) disabling VAX by unloading the VAX add-in from the tool menu

the results as follows:

1) Sometimes it helps sometimes not...
2) no syntax highlighting but still strange effects (like the cursor jumping described in my other thread)
3) instantly no more strange effects, no sideeffects what so ever...

Personally I can't understand how 1418 could ever go public...

3) sometimes
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  3:24:05 PM  Show Profile
all i can say about 1418 going public is i have been using it, often with 2 copies of VS 2003 open at once, both editing and compiling for ages without any such problems. this does not help you, but it does suggest that something specific to your environment is relevant.

Go to Top of Page

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  4:34:27 PM  Show Profile
I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with just build 1418, as I was experiencing this issue since build 1409. I've removed all addins in an attempt to isolate the issue. The only application I haven't uninstalled is my Perforce SCM and Rational Suite; neither of which should be interferring with VAssistX.

I'd like to add that it doesn't just happen on my development workstation, but also on my laptop; so I am not sure it is just isolated to my environment.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  4:09:16 PM  Show Profile
two different machines, that is interesting. checking back to the original post you say the effect is instant. could you try opening the first IDE and creating a new standard C++ or C# project. then open a second copy of the IDE as normal, and see what happens.

ideally i would be interested if you could try both languages. if this is not machine specific then i am guessing it is either related to your projects, or some program / addin that is common to both machines.

do you have a localised OS or IDE? grasping at straws, but have you scanned the machines for spy-ware, or any other unwanted programs?

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:41:19 PM  Show Profile
I was able to reproduce the Norton AV problem and it was instant as Truistic reported and not limited to 1418. Symantec has acknowledged the problem and supplied an AutoProtect workaround. VA will have its own workaround in the next build so that it won't matter if Symantec addresses the problem in subsequent releases.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  02:09:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Truistic

I did a clean install of the July CTP and haven't experienced any problems. Did you have a previous version of vs2005 installed prior to the July CTP? Have you tried reinstalling VA?
Go to Top of Page

Truistic

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  09:55:00 AM  Show Profile
this was a clean install of the July CTP with no previous versions installed. I have not tried reinstalling; meant to do that before I posted the above, but got caught up in work issues. I'll try again and post if I have more problems.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000