C#: How to stop VAX from correcting...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MHolmes

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  4:00:59 PM  Show Profile
...'string' to 'String'. If I wanted to specifically reference the class rather than the intrinsic, I would use System.String :P What's odd is, it never used to do this until about two weeks ago. What did I flip to turn this on? Rather annoying (no ones fault but my own mind you, just driving me nuts, lol).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  6:10:40 PM  Show Profile
using VS 2003 with VAX 1418 when i type "string" in my C# project it stays as "string".

you could try turning off the VAX option:
VA Options -> text editor -> correction -> repair case

the more interesting question is what did you do to trigger this in the first place? i believe i have seen this reported before, but i don't recall ever reproducing it myself.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mfelzani

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  11:47:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MHolmes

...'string' to 'String'.

i see this as well ... also, i only see it when referencing "string" in a method signature or local variable that i'm creating. that is, if i use "string" as a member variable type then it stays as lower case! probably the difference there is that in the member variable case it's prefaced with "public."

ok, i just tried omitting "public" and it and no auto-cap, but it did pause for a while (the same pause i see in the method signature case), but i don't get the pause when "public" comes first.

ok, here's a good one, in the method signature case, if i preface string with "ref" first then it doesn't auto-cap it (and no pause). weird.

VAX 10.1.1301.0
Go to Top of Page

DrB

28 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile
VAX seems to just get into this "mood" sometimes. The only solution I've found is close visual studio, re-open, and all is well.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mfelzani

i see this as well ... also, i only see it when referencing "string" in a method signature or local variable that i'm creating. that is, if i use "string" as a member variable type then it stays as lower case! probably the difference there is that in the member variable case it's prefaced with "public."

i am a little confused over exactly when you are seeing this problem. using VS 2003 and VAX 1418 i have just been playing around with the function:

public void NameTest(string fred)
{
}

i have tried this with and without the public, and i have tried the parameter "ref string fred" as well. i am not getting "string" replaced with "String", and i am not even getting any pauses when typing.

if you can post a code snippet to show me what you are trying i can do the same here, both with VAX 1418 and also VAX 1301. also which IDE are you using?

Go to Top of Page

mfelzani

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:12:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

quote:
Originally posted by mfelzani

i am a little confused over exactly when you are seeing this problem.

hi feline ... thanks for the reply and sorry for the lag on my end. i've posted my "about" snippet at the bottom (which i should have done with my original post). if i just create a new project in VS 2003 and under c# pick "console app" i can reproduce by only adding a new method. this snippet is a result of me simply adding the carriage return and typing:

using System;

namespace ConsoleApplication18
{
/// <summary>
/// Summary description for Class1.
/// </summary>
class Class1
{
/// <summary>
/// The main entry point for the application.
/// </summary>
[STAThread]
static void Main(string[] args)
{
//
// TODO: Add code to start application here
//
}

public Go(String )
}
}

i give you my word that i typed "string" as all lower case. ;)

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1301.0
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1: [email protected] (15-user license)
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 11(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2800.1106
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
D:\\cc_views\\A251553_STAGING_main_snp\\STAGING\\Dev\\VC71\\Updates\\include;
D:\\cc_views\\A251553_STAGING_main_snp\\STAGING\\Dev;
c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\System\\ado;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile
this isn't to bad a delay mfelzani thank you for a nice clear "how to reproduce" this, it always helps. i have just tried this on VS 2003 with VAX 1418, and "string" was left as "string".

when i typed the function name "Go" was coloured as a function, and displayed in italics. this was still in italic when i typed "string" followed by a single space. about 3 seconds later VAX updated "Go" so that it was no longer italic, obviously having reparsed the file.

i have now repeated the test using VS 2003 and VAX 1301. i am getting exactly the same results, the same italic "Go" to non italic, and again "string" is left alone.

i have even tried placing a tab rather than a space after "string" in the function parameter list, and still nothing goes wrong.

grasping at straws time - did you close all instances of the IDE, and then launch a new IDE instance when you did this test? or were you re-using an existing IDE instance? i am wondering if some "state" information got transfered from one project to another.

beyond this, do you have any other plugin's installed? any "strange" or non default VAX settings?

checking my 1301 settings i have everything in "Text Editor -> Correction" turned on, including repair case.

under "Text Editor -> Suggestions" i have some "include bits from surrounding lines" turned off.

the only other thing that comes to mind is that there is something in one of these additional include directories that is triggering this:

do any of these include C# code? i don't have them in my info list.

Go to Top of Page

mfelzani

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  12:22:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
grasping at straws time - did you close all instances of the IDE, and then launch a new IDE instance when you did this test? or were you re-using an existing IDE instance? i am wondering if some "state" information got transfered from one project to another.

excellent point. at the time i had not ... when i did close down all instances and recreate the project i did not see the behavior. however i have seen it before when i posted with reboots, etc, in between. second, i'm still confused as to why it only affected the method signature and not member varialbes or method signature params preceeded with 'ref' / 'out.' if i owned a farm, i'd wager it that the issue will return as i reopen some of my other solution files. one thing i'm thinking is that the VAX files get huge in my world (we have one solution with 270+ projects and another with 50+) ... this time i tried waiting for one to completely finish parsing before opening the other. i'm wondering, too, if just the shear size of things isn't part of the problem. the digits on my c:\\PF\\VAX\\vc7 dir are: 642MB; 2248 files; 3 folders after i open my two big solutions.

quote:
beyond this, do you have any other plugin's installed? any "strange" or non default VAX settings?

sort of ... i think some DevPartner stuff, but that's probably all.

quote:
checking my 1301 settings i have everything in "Text Editor -> Correction" turned on, including repair case.

under "Text Editor -> Suggestions" i have some "include bits from surrounding lines" turned off.

i have the standard settings ... i made that one to 'include bits from surrounding lines.'

quote:
the only other thing that comes to mind is that there is something in one of these additional include directories that is triggering this:

those are all specific to my group ... in short we've migrated all our old VS6 stuff to .net 2003 ... all those directories are the stuff we needed to bring forward. in all likelihood the problem lies in there, but i still keep coming back to the fact that it only switches "string" when it's a parameter. oh well.

i really appreciate your time ... i'll try to see if i notice anything along the way ... next time i reboot i'll try and only open one of the two solutions and see if i can isolate which one is responsible for hacking up my "string" usages. although, now they're both open and i don't see my issue. weird.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  1:21:32 PM  Show Profile
to be honest i am running out of good suggestions, but at the same time i would love to get to the bottom of this, since you are not the only person who has seen this.

if the extra include directories are from VC6 then surely they are all C / C++ code? or have you converted some of the code to C# or some other .NET language? i am hoping that C++ includes are not polluting C# suggestions and checking.

beyond this if you can get a reproducible case i will certainly try to reproduce it. also a log file may well help:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#log

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  5:46:57 PM  Show Profile
The Rebuild button on the Performance node of our options dialog also helps reset VA X to a common state -- the problem, though, is you need to wait for a lot of parsing to finish the next time you start the IDE.

Another straw to grasp: there might be a definition of String in the additional include directories that is confusing VA X.
Go to Top of Page

mfelzani

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  09:37:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Another straw to grasp: there might be a definition of String in the additional include directories that is confusing VA X.

i was thinking this, too, however it stumped me as to why would it only affect the "string" usage as a parameter to a method?

also, i'll look through those additional files and see if anything jumps out ... also will flip on logging next time the problem arises.

lastly, i think (i hope) i've said it before, but, "thanks" to everyone helping out!
Go to Top of Page

MHolmes

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  11:09:21 AM  Show Profile
My apologies, I never got back to you guys.

I noticed that mfelzani is running DevPartner as well. Do you think this could be the thread of commonality here? I am running DevPartner 7.2. That's the only reason I can see that this would happen, as I have repair case turned 'Off' and feline cannot reproduce it.

I can't possibily imagine how DP 7.2 would interfere, and being a professional dev I am pretty pragmatic about pointing at random things and saying "oh, thats it!"...but it seems to be the only thread of commonality I can see so far :)
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  3:23:35 PM  Show Profile
I was able to reproduce this once I enabled the "any character not valid in a symbol" option (VA Options|Text Editor|Suggestions|Settings). Is it reproducible when that setting is disabled?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  2:20:17 PM  Show Profile
i am seeing the same effect, since while typing "string" i have a suggestion listbox which filters down to "String" and space accepts this. all of my testing was done with this setting disabled.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000