header/.cpp toggle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  09:58:31 AM  Show Profile
What are the rules that this function uses? I'm now working on a project where they go in different folders, and the toggle no longer works as it did when they're in the same place... but the #include paths are set up, so I don't understand why not!

It's amazing how annoying not having this feature is.

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  6:46:51 PM  Show Profile
not half as annoying as having VAX show a tooltip and full info on a function and Alt+G doesnt go anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  2:13:54 PM  Show Profile
tom, i am not sure of the exact algorithm, but if you can post the file names (including full directory location) of the two files then i will see what happens on my machine. i have found one or two cases where VAX cannot find the matching file, but they are normally very rare. do you have more than one file with the same name? do the header and cpp files have the same name, apart from the extension?

Uniwares, is it possible this is an IDE tooltip? i don't think i have ever seen this effect myself, thankfully.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

beef

Poland
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  06:40:37 AM  Show Profile
Feline, maybe my example would help: I have following layout:

d:\\!work\\ProjDir\\arch\\DebugRenderer.h
d:\\!work\\ProjDir\\src\\DebugRenderer.cpp

Switching from cpp to h works, but switching back (from h to cpp) DO NOT WORK! I have installed the King's Tools from CodeProject just to have the switching working correctly (BTW tom, this may be the temporary solution for you, also).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  3:02:59 PM  Show Profile
something strange is going on here. since i have a D: available on this machine i have created the directory "!work" and have copied an existing project into it. i have added the required subdirectories, and i now have the files:

D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\arch\\DebugRenderer.h
D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\src\\DebugRenderer.cpp

which have been added to a project located in the:

D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\
subdirectory. alt_o swaps me between these two files perfectly. do you have any other files with a file name "DebugRenderer.*" in your working directory that VAX could be getting confused by?

do you have a small test project available that you could copy these two files into and see what alt_o does in that situation?

Go to Top of Page

beef

Poland
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  03:31:16 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I have DebugRenderer.obj and DebugRenderer.sbr in d:\\!work\\proj_dir\\make\\debug and DebugRenderer.obj in d:\\!work\\proj_dir\\make\\release, but I think that is quite obvious, because such files exists in every cpp project after the compilation, and VAX probably handles them (or, at least, it sholud do). But something is wrong here. This situation concerns not only this file, but every file in the project (all have same layout). Notice, that:
1. I have temporary compiled files in non-standard path (not a subfolder of cpp and h files). Additionally, my project files are located in the d:\\!work\\proj_dir\\make
2. I have the project's directories settings totally changed from the default:
Output Directory: ../bin
General/Intermediate Directory: $(ConfigurationName)
C/C++/Output Files/Object File Name: $(IntDir)/
Linker/General/Output File: $(OutDir)/proj_name.exe

I suspect that this is a source of problems, not the file layout itself.

Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Maybe the location of the project is the problem? In my situation, it is like:

Z:\\Project\\Lib\\Sdk\\SubLib\\Common\\Includes\\Whatever.h
Z:\\Project\\Lib\\Sdk\\SubLib\\Common\\Source\\Whatever.cpp
Z:\\Project\\Lib\\Sdk\\SubLib\\Pc\\Project\\SubLib.vcproj

and VAX won't toggle between .cpp and .h in either direction.

I will play around when I get a spare moment and see if I can reduce it down to something reproducable.

Edited by - tom_seddon on Aug 19 2005 11:13:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  5:46:25 PM  Show Profile
beef, i was wondering about duplicate file names. there is one project i work on where there are two files called "mtQtPatient.h", so when you are using "mtQtPatient.cpp" VAX does not know which header file to swap to.

do you have a small sample project that you could zip up and send to me that has this problem? i have tried replicating what is going on, and i now have the following file layout:

D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\make\\ob_online_time.vcproj
D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\make\\ob_online_time.suo

D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\src\\DebugRenderer.cpp
D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\arch\\DebugRenderer.h

D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\online_time.cpp
D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\online_time.h

D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\StdAfx.cpp
D:\\!work\\ob_online_time\\StdAfx.h

alt_o works correctly for all of these pairs of files for me. the location of the project file vs the source code files does not seem to matter, at least not based on this test.

Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  6:47:35 PM  Show Profile
If it's any help, I was slumming it at home the other day with VAX1297 and Vs.NET 2002, with the same project that's giving me grief at work (where we have the latestest VAX -- 1418 I think? -- and VS.NET 2003). The header/cpp toggle was working fine.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  4:01:48 PM  Show Profile
interesting. given the strange results i have been getting i wonder if some other variable is involved as well as the versions. if i can get a reproducible case here i can test it with VS 2003 and VAX 1297. i don't currently have VS 2002 on hand, but if needed i can install it somewhere.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000