Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2003 :  12:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys...

I'm still working on getting VAX installed, and have come to the tentative conclusion that it's a privileges thing. The huge corporation I'm contracting at must have my machine locked-down in some way that prevents VAX from installing, as it installs fine at home, but fails in exactly the same way on my boss's machine.

But it installs fine for you guys, so my question is, what kind of place are you using VAX from? A huge mega-corp with strict PC security procedures? A tiny company with none of that stuff? At home?

Thanks.

Edited by - LarryLeonard on Dec 05 2003 08:14:24 AM

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2003 :  12:40:05 PM  Show Profile
Separated machine with security locked down to the minimum required for development. Did you check out your settings for COM/DCOM? Anything unusual there?
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2003 :  12:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Um, not sure I know which COM/DCOM settings you're talking about. Where exactly would I check those settings?

And are you saying your machine is very much locked down, or not very much locked down? :)
Go to Top of Page

Darren
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2003 :  6:53:43 PM  Show Profile
I had some ideas. Is your registry locked down? Do you have read/write access to HKLM\\Software and HKCU\\Software? Do you have VA6 or VA.Net installed on this same box that you're trying to install VA X on?

Edited by - Darren on Dec 04 2003 6:54:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

partnerinflight

37 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2003 :  12:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Huge megacorp here. :) But my huge megacorp login still has admin access to the local machine... doesn't yours? If not, can you ask IT to provide it? I've only ever been in one company where they don't give a developer admin access to the dev machine, and that company was not huge or megacorp, but WAS really screwed up. :)
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2003 :  07:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Hello Larry,

I'm working in a small company, where everyone has administrator rights to her/his own PC.

Isn't is possible that the team of WholeTomato send you a zip- (or better: rar-) file that you unpack in a certain directory, a registry-file that you can add to your registry and a batch file that does some other things for you. Maybe that way you can see where things go wrong (or better: get VA X installed)...

It would be great to have another active Beta tester on board (up and running).

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2003 :  08:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Darren - Thanks for the ideas. I can read/write/delete from HKLM\\Software and HKCU\\Software all day long. In fact, I've never seen anything I can't do on this machine. I am in the "Administrators" group. I did have VA6 installed before I tried to install VAX; I've tried uninstalling VA6 before installing VAX, but no joy. (I installed VAX over VA6 on my machine at home and it installed perfectly - if only I could work from home!)

patluja - What you describe would get me up and running, but if you think about it, my problem might represent a serious issue for WT. If no one at the Fortune 500 company I'm contracting at can install VAX, it's possible that whatever is causing this will also affect people at a lot of other big companies. So this issue could prevent a lot of potential customers from trying VAX. Having said that, my goal (and I'm sure WT's) is not so much to get me up and running, but to understand exactly why the installer is crashing. So, I don't want to "creatively" install VAX, as that would destroy any chance of debugging the problem. It sure would be nice to see the new VAX stuff though!

I'm working with someone at WT on this, and they're stumped; their attitude now is that they want to wait and see if anyone else has this problem. I can certainly understand their position; I'd do (and have done) the same thing. I have suggested that maybe they could send me things like a crippled DLL, or small snippets of source code to compile and run; I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for everyone's help - I'll keep you posted. (In the meantime, VA6 really isn't so bad, you know!)
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2003 :  2:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Yippee! They hand-crafted me a version of 1205 that installed! Finally I can see what all the excitement is about.

Jerry at WT explained to me what the problem turned out to be, but I'm unsure whether I should repeat it in public. If he wants to, he can repeat it here. (Turned out not to be a privileges thing at all; my debugging skills apparently need work. )

Thanks to everyone for their ideas... now I have to find a VAX bug that you guys somehow overlooked...
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2003 :  08:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Congrats and ... good luck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: