New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2003 :  1:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Another tiny complaint about the way the HCB changes context. It's nice that when I hover over a variable that's an instance of, for example, the CVeryComplexClass class, the HCB loads the info for that class.

What I don't like is that it does the same thing for built-in types (int, bool, float, etc), because all it says is "int", which is not too helpful (especially for those of us that use Hungarian notation). Worse, it may have dumped info I actually could use (from CVeryComplexClass, for example)?

So, can you make the HCB ignore built-in types? Thanks.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2003 :  1:18:02 PM  Show Profile
We will tweak the behavior of the HCB in the next build or two. The info the HCB contains clears too easily.

We make the HCB retain hovering info even when you move the mouse after hovering. We will leave the info until you hover over another symbol or begin to type. In the latter case, we revert to current scope.

If you hover over an unknown symbol, we are likely to clear the HCB.

We will reconsider what we do for built-in types.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2003 :  1:46:44 PM  Show Profile
As I have encountered, often HCB shows "something" when you hover over nothing. No clear rule what it shows when you have nothing under the mouse.
I have one single file project where HCB tends to show "main" and "malloc", main is of course in the file, but malloc is not even referenced.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2003 :  12:05:41 PM  Show Profile
VAX 1209 - Okay, this isn't quite what I had in mind...

You've fixed it so that if I hover over the word "int", for example, the HCB doesn't clear itself out and then display simply "int". That's good. But it's still clearing itself out - that's not good. It needs to just ignore built-in types entirely, and not clear out its contents...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2003 :  12:15:13 PM  Show Profile
We considered your suggestion but believe we might confuse more people than we might help. We are particularly concerned for brand new users. That said, we will reconsider as we move forward.

Even though the issue is minor, other opinions are welcome.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2003 :  12:29:44 PM  Show Profile
Wait - I don't think we're on the same page...

Before 1209, if you hovered over an int, the HCB displayed "int". Now, with 1209, if you hover over an int, the HCB clears itself.

I understand the pre-1209 method might be less confusing to a new user: I hover over an int, and the HCB says "int" - pretty straightforward.

But I don't see how the 1209 method helps a new user: I hover over an int, and the HCB displays... nothing?!

Somebody else weigh in here...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000