Technical Support
 Visual Assist and Unicode identifiers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nox Metus

43 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  08:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like sometimes to name identifiers with Greek letters if it makes sense. std::sin(#945;), for example. It seems like Visual Assist has problems with such names. It completely ignores them and plus it is impossible to create a snippet containing such letters.

Edited by - Nox Metus on Feb 24 2011 09:08:19 AM

Nox Metus

43 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops... I checked the new release. It partially works. Suggestion lists work, tips work. Visual Assist doesn't highlight identifiers with Unicode symbols though. And it is impossible to create a snippet with Unicode symbols. And Visual Assist underlines as an error method names if the object name contains Unicode symbols.

Edited by - Nox Metus on Feb 24 2011 09:25:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  8:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not quite sure what you are trying here, so I held down the Alt key and typed 945 on the numeric keypad to enter a character into the middle of a local variable, using VA 1842 and VS2008. This is what I am seeing:

VA is highlighting the identifier without any problems for me.

Unfortunately the VA Snippet editor not supporting Unicode is a known limitation that we are working on:

case=17006

we are improving VA's Unicode support and handling over time, as you see, but we have not yet finished doing this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Nox Metus

43 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  11:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holding an Alt key and typing numbers on the numeric keypad can produce only symbols with the code less than 256. 945 is a Greek letter alpha. I am sorry for the confusion. Look at the picture below to understand what I mean.

alpha should be bold as well as b0, b1,... below.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the clear description.

case=2366

If you are having any problems with listboxes or Find References Results handling the Greek characters correctly setting the language for non unicode programs to Greek, via Control Panel, in Windows, should help. Unfortunately this does not fix the lack of bold on local variables for me.

Go to Top of Page

Nox Metus

43 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  02:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you are having any problems with listboxes or Find References Results handling the Greek characters correctly setting the language for non unicode programs to Greek, via Control Panel, in Windows, should help.
It's set to my native language, Russian. Setting it to Greek (which requires to restart the system) in order just to have Visual Assist working properly with a couple of Greek letters and ruining on the way all other non-Unicode Russian programs, including file managers, is absolutely ugly and unacceptable. Plus it won't help if I have Unicode symbols from several different code pages in my program.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  4:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had not realised you were working like this. As you say, my suggestion is no help in this situation.

Apart from the lack of bold on these variables, is VA generally working correctly for you with them?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000