Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, new user here, now working with the demo version for two weeks.

C++/CLI application.

Below you see two examples of members etc. which are totally unrelated to the object. The first is a WASAPI class (player) and the second a Kernel Streaming one.

It is always the paint objects being there and a lot more.

I have set everything to Off in the settings (not only the Suggestions), except for cacheing the symbols and Format after paste.

I'm sure that at these lines in the code will be related :

using namespace System::Diagnostics;
using namespace System::Threading;
using namespace System::Drawing;
using namespace Microsoft::Win32;

because it sure looks like that just everything of these name spaces occurs in the suggestions.

Can I do something about this ?
Thanks,
Peter

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  11:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What types are the variables "pPlayer" and "pPin"?

Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Do you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

turned On or Off?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  04:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those will be functions (those normally referenced by means of ->).

VS2010, and your about box says 10.6.1850.0 built 2011.06.07.
(I hope this is the Release version, and that I'm not posting in the wrong board).

Get content from default intellisense On or Off doesn't make a difference.

I just checked, and indeed when I comment out the namespace commands the list is correct for the object.

Typedef structs seem to go wrong the same way at their first level (I hope this is clear ?). So :

This is a second level and this is allright. The first level (Packets[ip]) is not.

Classes like we reference them via :: look correct.

Those normally referenced with . also go wrong :

Regards,
Peter
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  4:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I cannot reproduce the ofstream problem. I have tried adding your "using namespace" lines to both a C++ CLR console application, and a C++ CLR Windows Forms application.

If you place the caret into "ofstream" what does VA show in its context and definition fields? These are shown at the top of the editor window by default. I have:

context field = std.ofstream
definition field = typedef basic_ofstream<char, char_traits<char> > ofstream

Are you able to reproduce this problem in a new, default solution?

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  04:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to reply so late ! But it really took some 90 minutes to sort it out a little.

ofstream : same here :

But now let's see :

Create a new Windows Forms Application (leave all to default in VS2010). The above is the only thing added underneath the code. Keep the lines commented out as shown.
Never to forget : always compile one time BEFORE checking the suggestion list ! (this will rebuild some whatever symbol list).

The above (picture) goes allright.
Now activate the System::Drawing line. Now it will be wrong.
Comment it out, and all will be right again.

but :

If you create the new project and immediately have the System::Drawing line in actively (paste it in as the first thing you do), and it will never be right, whatever you do.

Similar combinations happen to the other lines. So, I have had the situation that all was right with the System::Drawing line active, but it went wrong at activating the Drawing::Rectangle line (I'm sure, but I can't copy that behavior anymore -> the project was larger in that case).
Similarly, activating the System line (first line) will go as wrong (adding all kind of "System" elements).

It is a kind of hard to debug because of the relative internal happenings and the data which is (not) rebuilt or not reset (??).

Lastly, notice that the ofstream log2 line won't compile because some include stuff will be missing. But that really doesn't matter much and now it's the most lean.

Thanks,
Peter
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  8:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the screen shot, this helps to explain what is going on here. We think we have a fix for this problem, which will be in the next build of VA. This should be posted in the next couple of days.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA 1854 has now been released, and hopefully it will help:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10251

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  02:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much.

I will try it later today and let you know.
I think I have 3 days left on the evauluation. A bit of my own fault ...

Peter
Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, looks good !

It seems that there's some "timer" somewhere, which now always shows the status line : Intellisense : Unavailable for C++/CLI
I guess this is always there (VS originated) but now it's overridden only after some 3 seconds ?

Btw, I don't understand a thing of the further working anymore. I can't get any highlighting whatsoever anywhere to work ??
(also not in VB).

Must be my being unexperienced ...
But thanks so far !

Peter
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The status bar message "Intellisense : Unavailable for C++/CLI" is coming from the IDE, and is nothing to do with VA. Unfortunately VS2010 likes to show this status bar message quite a lot.

No highlighting? Are other VA features working correctly?

What specifically is not working? Enhanced syntax highlighting? Highlight Find References Results? Highlight the symbol under the caret?

Is VA applying colouring to any windows? VA Outline? VA navigation bar?

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope I'm judgeing it correctly because I also feel a relation to the two VS instances again. But after carefully starting and quitting one by one the only thing I can do to proove that a change to the settings for VB works is activating the tip of the day. Nothing else that I can see working there (including the parsing parsing ).

C++ seems to work normally, except for that CLI etc. message. This really wasn't there before, and this now always shows before it's overridden by the VA Parsing message (shows briefly for some 10ts of a second after 3-4 seconds).

Please notice that I am not bothered much by this all right now. Not at all. It does what it does for me, which is the intellisense in C++.
Btw, may that be a strange thing within itself : if everything is shut off, the VA intellisense within C++ keeps on working (but this already was so).

PS: All will probably a matter if uninstall and reinstall, which I did not try.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  12:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange, VA colouring should be working in .vb files in VS2010, it is for me. Do you have any idea when this stopped working?

It would be nice if this was fixed by a quick uninstall and reinstall.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. But don't laugh ...

Where is the Uninstall ?
I can't even find anything under "All Programs" (or Programs and Features for that matter).
I must be blind now ...
(W7 SP1, VS2010 SP1)

Notice that I just installed the 1854 right from the download.
(1854 shows in About)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS2010 changed the rules, so you have to uninstall VA via:

IDE tools menu -> Extension Manager...

Older versions of VA are uninstalled via the control panel, as you expected. Easy when you know how, but not very obvious.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  2:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks a lot.

Sadly that doesn't help a thing.
(notice that my earlier VA settings sustained)

So, set everything to "max".
After the "uninstall/reinstall" now there's a dotted line (between the form and the caret) ?

Never mind for now.
Ok, dinner time here.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  9:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dotted line at least is easy, this is controlled via:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Display indicator after column

So you can turn it off, or move it to where you want it to be.

Is there any other sign that VA is active in .vb files? Assuming you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Allow Acronyms and Shorthand

does typing a shorthand name filter the listbox as expected, or does it just close the listbox?

Can you just check and see if ".vb;" has been added to:

VA Options -> Projects -> File Handling -> Extensions to ignore

I have just found that in VS2010 the column indicator is active in .vb files even if VA is set to ignore .vb files, so seeing this does not prove anything one way or another.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  02:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, now it gets tricky. Sequence :

1. Fired up VS for VB.
2. Looked into the settings for .vb being eliminated. It was (I did that earlier). Removed it. Never forgot Apply.
3. Looked in the program (loaded in there right from the start), nothing to be seen.
4. Removed the dotted line. Yep, worked.
5. Quit VS.
6. Fired it up again. Dotted line again was there. In the settings it was indeed checked again. Unchecked it again. Apply etc. Line was gone again.
7. Looked for the .vb for files. That too was still there. Removed it again.
8. Browsed a bit in search for highlights. BSOD (this never happened).
9. Restarted PC. Restarted VS. "One or more projects were not loaded correctly". And "document load has been skipped" (or something).
10. Loaded the program via Solutions Pane. No highlighting to be seen. Dotted line not there.
11. Brough up settings, .vb is not there in files. So that's ok now.

If you look at 4, 5, 6, you'll see that these things too happen across the lines. So, two instances fighting eachother (not with the above sequence !), but this I noticed earlier too (or at least I thought I did).

Btw, the most apparent check (I think) is the (not) showing of the Navigation bar. In the C++ instance this easily works.
Not to forget : VB sure has worked before ! But not since I could kill its working definitely by means of that .vb in Files ??

quote:
VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Allow Acronyms and Shorthand

does typing a shorthand name filter the listbox as expected, or does it just close the listbox?

As far as I'm concerned this is VS10 (is it ?). Tried with "From Default Intellisense Off and On".
Btw, this can be selected by means of Space, which is not the normal VA behavior (that would close the listbox I think).

I still feel it is me somewhere, although it seems incurred for by some general confusing stuff.

PS: Oh, now the Parsing Parsing Parsing DOES "work" !
Right, now I have to shut it off again (put .vb in files).
See ? this leads to nothing. haha

Edited by - PeterSt on Jul 23 2011 02:56:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am quite confused by VA not saving its settings like this. I don't know of any good explanations for this.

Do you ever run the IDE with different permissions? So sometimes as administrator, and sometimes as a limited user?

If there was a "simple" permissions problem in your registry stopping VA from saving its VB settings on exit then you would never be able to save your settings. I am starting to see why this is so confusing.

Your screen shot, yes, this is a VS2010 listbox. Do you see this listbox style, with the tabs, all the time, or only some of the time? I am not seeing tabs in my listboxes in VS2010, .vb files, with VA 1854 unless I actually disable VA, or tell it to ignore .vb files.

Can you please try downloading and running Process Monitor:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

In the filter settings I have added the two filters:

Process Name is devenv.exe then Include
Path contains Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X then Include

this shows just the registry access for VA reading and writing its settings. Can you use the same, or similar filter settings and then leave Process Monitor running, until you next have a problem where your VA settings are not being correctly loaded or saved please. Hopefully this will give us some clues as to the problem, especially if there are unexpected errors.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before we continue ... and I wanted to tell you a dozen times at least ... which I decided not to do ...

I'm running with virtually no services most of the time. This, a.o., implies that some "write cache" (I just call it like that) is improperly active - at least at the file level. For example, it may take 45 seconds or so before I can recompile (because the output exe is still in use by the OS somewhere).
However, since I don't expected you to use any files to be deleted / created (all is in the Registry, right ?) I avoided mentioning it.

Besides this I have all kind of uncommon privileges, use large page memory and whatever stuff.

Anyway, it is one of the reasons to (in the end) avoid the whole subject, knowing that I can do what I want anyway. Also, if you'd ask me to "first work in nomal fashion" I had to say No ... It is too tedious to do so (or change back and forth) and I am trying to do some work as well.

To answer your question : no, I never change permissions. In this area it's always with UAC at the lowest setting.

Tabs are always there, but I don't recall how things were at first (after the first install). I mean, then in VB all worked, so I suppose this (Suggestions) too.

I can try the Process Monitor, but I'm a bit clueless at this moment about your "until you next have a problem where your VA settings are not being correctly loaded or saved please." This would be instantly, functionally speaking. Otoh, it will tell you whether something happens in there in the first place.

But as said, before I continue you may point out that I'm working in a too illegal fashion to let this go right. Please say so when needed - I have no problems with that. It may be more important to you to know *why* this is happening, so other users can be helped earlier.

Let me know,
Peter

PS: Might you have an idea what service should be active in order to let this "write cache" work as intended, please let me know. Can be some COM+ service...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  11:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information about your system. I am not yet sure if this explains the problems you are seeing or not. VA is designed to pick up edits to files before you save them. If this is working correctly, and VA is understanding your existing code, then VA is probably running without to many problems.

Process Monitor, apologies for not being more clear. If I understand correctly your VA settings for VB can be set correctly while the IDE is running, but they are not remembered correctly when you restart the IDE for working in VB.

If so, then the simplest answer is that the settings are not being saved out to the registry correctly, or they are not being loaded correctly from the registry, or some other IDE instance is overwriting the registry settings. Hopefully a Process Monitor log for loading and exiting the IDE will tell us if this is happening.

The VB listboxes, do you have time to run a quick test please? I have just created a new, default VB.Net Windows Form application in VS2010. I added a single button to the form using the Design view, and double clicked the button. This generated the "Button1_Click" function.

Inside the function I typed:

Button1.n

When I hover the mouse over the listbox this is what I am seeing:

There are no tabs, the listbox has shrunk, and I am seeing the VA filtering buttons at the bottom of the listbox. Do you get the same thing, or do you get an IDE listbox with tabs?

I can upload my test project if that helps, but it is so simple it hardly seems worth it.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First response :

Noooo ... I am not able to let VB work whatsoever !
(remember, I also reinstalled VA for it)

I will try the little VB project now ...
Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  11:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might you have read it already ... I just scratched the post.

This works allright.
(of course I forgot to remove the .vb at first)

Edited by - PeterSt on Jul 27 2011 12:03:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  12:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

During Save there is one Name not found error. During Load many. I guess this is harmless.

But what about the buffer overflows ? These are all during Load.
There are quite some more than you can see here.
If needed I can send the log file (but provide an address please).

Btw, if I look at those keys erroring out, it plainly looks like I have too large paths or too many libraries mentioned or something ?
(ehm, if this is relevant at all)

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  1:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS: Before I am confusing : That ProcessMonitor output was from the VB application that does not work (not from the little test app).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  1:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The buffer overflows are normal. My understanding of how this works is that you pass the registry API a small, known length buffer and ask it to load the string. If the string is to large the API tells you it did not fit, and tells you how big a buffer you actually need. This is the official method of finding out how big a buffer is needed to load the string value.

The side effect is lots of apparent errors in the process monitor log.

Name not found is also normal, since VA has a number of optional registry keys that can be set, but if they do not exist VA does not create them, and it just uses the default values instead.

If you had been getting errors like access denied then we would have found something that needed looking into more closely.

For sending me log files, please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Just to double check, is VA working as you expect, and feel it should, in VB in the small test app? If so, can you keep this IDE instance open, close the current solution, and then load your main VB solution. Does VA keep on working correctly in VB files or not?

This should eliminate any problems with VA loading or saving settings, since the IDE instance is kept open, and we know it was working.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  7:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the process monitor log file, thank you for this. There is no sign of anything odd here in the logs, and your logs look a lot like the results I see on my test system. So no real clues there.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  2:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

The results of "keeping open the IDE instance" :

1. Removed the .vb and set the Quick Config settings all to Max in the original VB instance, then created the new small VB Form app from File there. Worked in the small app as bfeore. The large VB instance was closed automatically at creating the new project.

2. Opened the large VB app while the small stayed open. Does not work. Checked the Quick Config settings and they were all reset to minimum as they were before. In the small app all is set to Max except for Underlines which is Min. .vb is not there in both.

3. Set the Quick Config in the large app all too Max again (+ Apply). Quit the still open Settings form in the small app. Re-asked for the Settings in the large app, and all is to Max except for the Underline which is to Min.

4. Pressed cancel in the large app (Settings disappear) and tried. - Suggestion lists are from VS10. Unchecked Get content from default intellisense from VS10 - does not help. Btw, this is/was on in the small app.

5. Set all to Min in the small app (Get default Intellisense On), and VA Suggestion Lists keep on working.

6. Added .vb in the small app, but it keeps on working.

7. Quit the large app (without Saving). Small still works.

8. Created another small app from the earlier small one (earlier is closed); this one does not apply VA (as should).

9. Opened settings, and removed the .vb. VA is applied again.

10. Quit the small (new) app, and saved along the lines.

11. Started large app - Does not work. .vb is not in there, as should.

(12. Put .vb in there to avoid "Parsing").

If these weren't the combinations you intended, let me know.
Peter

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  10:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The behaviour of VA settings is what I am expecting. VA settings are read from the registry on IDE load, and saved to the registry on IDE exit. Just changing the settings in one IDE instance will have no effect on any other running IDE instance.

If you just use a single IDE instance, making sure VA is working correctly in the .vb test project, and then load your main VB solution, does VA keep on working in .vb files, or does it start to go wrong?

If VA is failing to work correctly in your main VB solution then either there is something in these specific .vb files that is confusing our parser, or the solution its self is the problem.

If you copy one or two problem .vb files into the small test application, add them to this test solution, and open them in the editor, does VA work reasonably well? I am trying to test the files in a known, working environment. Obviously some things will fail, since the files are out of context, but hopefully you should be able to tell if VA is working reasonably or not.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  01:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you just use a single IDE instance, making sure VA is working correctly in the .vb test project, and then load your main VB solution, does VA keep on working in .vb files,

I think it does (hopefully that shows from my presented sequence).

By now my evaluation has expired, so I can't re-check things at this moment.

Thanks for all the help,
Peter
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  12:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have emailed you about this Peter. I think we are getting closer to finding out what is going on here.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  11:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I just checked in and saw your message about the email. But ... I never saw one ! Maybe it has landed in my spambox, but I don't know what address to look for.

Can you please send it again ?
sales -atblah- phasure.com

Thanks,
Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000