Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  10:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first email was sent to your .nl email address. I have just re-sent the email to this email address, hopefully you will get it this time.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it now, thanks !
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  7:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the forum works better, I am quite happy to continue discussing this here.

If I understand correctly, your last test was done using two instances of the IDE. So this time can you test with just a single instance of the IDE.

Make sure there are no open instances of the IDE. Now load the test VB project, and make sure VA is working correctly. You may need to edit VA settings to make VA work in .vb files. If VA works correctly, use:

IDE File menu -> Close Solution

then load your main VB solution. Since the IDE has not been closed and reloaded we don't have to worry about any problems with saving or loading settings. Does VA now work as expected in your main solution?

Hopefully this makes sense, and you can see what I am getting at.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  12:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, clear.
But nope, does not work. So :

- Opened the small solution from a blank situation (started VS2010 without project) - worked;
- Closed the small solution from the file menu;
- Opened the large solution from the file menu (recent files) - does not work.

It's doomed.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  5:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually this is good news. There is a clear problem with VA and this specific VB solution. Can you please copy one or two of the problem files from the main solution into the test solution, and add them to the test solution.

If you now open the test solution, and make sure VA is working in the original .vb files, what happens when you open the problem .vb files?

Do you still get the VA context and definition fields?
VA colouring?
Does VA Outline show anything?

I am trying to find out if it is the files themselves, or something about the solution that is confusing VA.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  05:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news ? well, I don't have good news at all. My problems are bigger by now, and beyond what I like ...

I setup VS2010 in order to be compatible with some (C++) source environment, whatever. Of course this is where VS intellisense stopped in the first place (and where I found VA).
My VB environment hopped over to VS2010 as well, not being sure I actually needed that, but knowing about other VS2008 bugs, I just did that.

All the time I had to stay out of my visual form environment, because it contained errors. Errors coming from whatever I all needed to reinstall with 5 years of history, coming from pre-released Vista. So, since I at last needed to make changes to the visual environment (the form), I sat down to perform those installs.

So I did, but that triggered a rebuild of the "form code" so to speak, and now I can't compile my program anymore because of a VS2010 bug and an error coming from that "is not a valid win32 application" springing from the .resx file. If you Google for
is not a valid win32 application .resx
you'll see what I mean, and thus far I didn't find a solution, nor that MS really is working on it. Similar to the intellisense story they are just never going to solve, but which is good for you.

Ok, I'm telling you this maybe too long story, to suggest that this may be the real problem; something needs to be parsed but it can't.
This should be in that visual area, which -mind you- won't (wouldn't, now it does) compile because of some 48 errors about 48 external (ActiveX) controls which needed a formal install to work in the dev environment (but allowed recompilation (and linking) as long as the form stuff wasn't changed (and no rebuild all was applied).

Since I see no solution, I have to go back to VS2008 for the VB part.
I also can't help anymore to find out the real culprit, unless it shows in VS2008 as well.
The C++ needs to remain in VS2010, and when I'm at it (needing changes in there again), I'm sure I'll get myself a VA license. So no worries about that.

Whether the problem is there again within VS2008 or not, in either case I will let it know.

Thanks once again,
Regards,
Peter
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  10:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. I am sorry you have had so many problems here.

Obviously, if you run into any VA problems in VS2008 please say, and I will do what I can to help.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000