Feature Requests
 go to definition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

derek_penguin

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  10:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There should be a way to default whether to go to header definition or source if there are only two.

I constantly get the two options to go to the header file or the cpp file. I pretty much always want to go to the source. The only case I can think of is when I am in the source on the function, it is nice how it automatically toggles to the header (and vice-versa).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  11:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you right click on a symbol in VS2008 you get two IDE commands, "Go To Definition" and "Go To Declaration". You can map a keyboard shortcut to either of these commands if you want, so instead of using VA's Alt-g command where VA asks where you want to go, you can just trigger the IDE "Go To Definition" command instead.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

AjayV

India
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  3:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feline, your answer doesn't seem appropriate. We use VAX for its correctness, performance and flexibility. GTD of VS doesn't work as smooth as VAX, and therefore I second to Derek for this. Alt+G should always goto to implementation, or provide 'Option' for this as such: Default (context menu), Goto Header or Goto Implementation. Users will select what they prefer.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  5:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you trigger alt-g, do you normally find that the implementation is the top, and thus default item? It is for me, at least for simple cases where there are only two items in the alt-g menu. If so Alt-g, Enter will get you to the implementation fairly reliably, without reading the menu.

Assuming we added this option, what about all the cases where there is something other than a simple 2 item menu? Template functions, overloaded functions, functions with no implementation at all. Sometimes VA will jump to the implementation, but sometimes it will either have to do nothing, or jump to the declaration. Other times VA will have to show you a menu, since there is more than one possible implementation.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000